An Esso Service Station at the intersection
of Colerain, Nobels Lane and Saw Mill Run Boulevard in 1936.
A great place to view vintage photos of
Pittsburgh and it's many communities is through the University of Pittsburgh
online digital archive. There are over 300 photos of Brookline, and most of them
have been used on this website. There is also a zoom feature, which allows a
more detailed glimpse of different locations in each photo. Shown here are
the zoom-ins of images already posted on the Brookline Connection. One master
photo can be made into multiple separate images. Shown here are the pictures
within the pictures.
Run Boulevard was created in 1929, part of the previous year's "City Beautiful"
Bond Issue. This initiative saw the creation of several highways around the city
that linked major local roadways. Prior to Saw Mill Run Boulevard, a trip along
the Saw Mill Run corridor involved traveling on a series of connecting streets
from Overbrook (Fairhaven) through to the West End. Built in three stages, the
new South Hills highway was completed through to Banksville Road in 1930,
and extended to the West End in 1954. Today, Saw Mill Run Boulevard is
one of the major roadways in the South Hills, and one Brookline residents
are quite familiar with.
Click on images
for larger pictures
A view of the Saw Mill Run Valley looking
towards the Oak Street (Whited) Viaduct around 1909.
The dirt path to the right is the Library Road Extension which passed through
the valley to Nobels Lane.
The Saw Mill Run corridor near Timberland
Avenue and Bausman Street in 1909 (left). This section of the roadway was
then known as Kaiser Avenue. Visible is the line of the Pittsburgh
and Castle Shannon Railroad on the far hillside.
On the right is a view of the intersection of Library Road and Saw Mill Run,
in Fairhaven (Overbrook) in 1909.
The roadway from this point through to Whited Street was then known
as the Library Road Extension
A new drainage culvert at the lower end of
Bausman Street (left), and an open field across the street along Saw Mill Run,
below the West Side Belt Railway tracks. The photo on the right shows where
Misaki's Restaurant is located today.
Two photos of the drainage culvert built in
1909 at the lower end of Bausman Street.
A view of the Bausman Street Tressel, as
seen from Timberland Avenue (left), and homes along
Saw Mill Run, near the present-day intersection with the Liberty Tunnels,
The Bausman Street Tressel (left), and
the intersection of Warrington Avenue and Saw Mill Run (right), in 1918.
At the time Warrington extended to West Liberty Avenue.
Some maps have it extending through to Edgebrook Avenue.
A home at the corner of Warrington Avenue
and Saw Mill Run in 1918 (left), and the intersection of
West Liberty Avenue and Saw Mill Run, showing homes above along
Richter Street, in 1925.
An inbound trolley on Warrington Avenue
after turning off West Liberty Avenue in 1921.
A view from West Liberty Avenue to Warrington
Avenue in 1925 (left). Visible is the old Bell House Tavern, which
was built in 1850. To the right is a home along Saw Mill Run, near the
intersection with Bausman Street.
A steam shovel in front of Green and Evans
Lumber Company, near the West Liberty Avenue intersection, in 1925 (left);
At right, a P&WVRR train passes along Saw Mill Run, between West Liberty Avenue
and Timberland, in 1925.
New sewer pipes stand ready to be installed
along Saw Mill Run in 1925. This field is across from Bausman Street.
Sewer pipes, ready to be installed
along Saw Mill Run, in 1925. The pipes were manufactured onsite (right).
The Green and Evans Lumber Company (left), and a
view from West Liberty Avenue towards Warrington Avenue, in 1925.
Approaching the intersection with West Liberty
Avenue and the Liberty Tunnels on April 30, 1929.
Construction of the intersection of Saw Mill
Run Boulevard and Library Road in 1929. This is a six-street junction,
merging Stewart and Hillview Avenues, Glenbury and Ivyglen Streets,
and Library Road with Saw Mill Run Boulevard.
Saw Mill Run Boulevard, near Library Road (left),
and Library Road, near Saw Mill Run, in 1930.
The intersection of Saw Mill Run Boulevard
and Library Road in 1930 (left) and 1933 (right).
Homes along Edgebrook Avenue and the newly
completed Saw Mill Run Boulevard, in January of 1930.
A car being serviced at the Saw Mill Run
Garage (left), and a view of the P&WVRR tracks and the Pittsburgh
Railways streetcar line along the Saw Mill Run Corridor, as seen from near
Overbrook School, in 1934.
An Amoco station next to Whited Street (left), and
an Esso station next to Colerain Street, in 1934.
A view of the back of Overbrook School, showing
the bridge over Saw Mill Run Creek to the Overbrook streetcar
stop (left), and the Overbrook VFW Post, showing the streetcar
line in the background, in 1934.
The Pittsburgh Railways streetcar line, and the
P&WVRR tracks along the Saw Mill Run corridor, in 1934.
A busy day at the Esso service station, located
at the corner of Saw Mill Run Boulevard and Nobels Lane (left),
and a view of Saw Mill Run Boulevard from Maytide Street looking towards
Library Road, in 1936.
The intersection of Saw Mill Run Boulevard and
Maytide Street (left), and the Overbrook Firehouse, in 1936.
Looking towards the Whited Street intersection
(left), and a girl standing near the corner of Maytide Street, in 1936.
Activity at the Overbrook Firehouse (left), and
the Overbrook Market (right), in 1936.
Pedestrians crossing Saw Mill Run Boulevard, at
the intersection with Overbrook Boulevard, in 1936.
A pedestrian waits for traffic to pass before
crossing Saw Mill Run Boulevard at Maytide Street in 1936.
Buildings at the intersection of Nobels Lane
and Colerain Street in 1936.
A traffic island with many signposts (left),
and a view towards the Whited Street intersection, in 1938.
Fairview School was built in 1907, at the corner
of Hillview Avenue and Kingwood Street, in Fairhaven. It was renamed
Overbrook School No. 1 in 1930. Fairview School was closed in 1974 and the
building razed in 1976.
Fred's Auto Sales in Overbrook in 1949 (left),
and a Schneiders Dairy truck in flood waters near Library Road in 1950.
Saw Mill Run Boulevard, near the Library Road
intersection, after the Thanksgiving Day Blizzard of 1950.
Men push an automobile stuck in the snow after
the Blizzard of 1950 (left), and cars driving through flood waters, in 1956.
Flooding has always been a problem at the Library Road intersection and along the
Saw Mill Run corridor.
Saw Mill Run Boulevard in August 1952. Workers
are installing a divider on the
highly traveled roadway from Edgebrook Avenue to Bausmann Street.
Workers placing concrete slabs for the
reconstructed bridge between Bausman and the tunnels on July 3, 1954.
The busy tunnel intersection, looking south
up West Liberty Avenue (left) and at Bausman Street on March 19, 1956.
A view of Saw Mill Run Boulevard (the West End
Bypass) near it's terminus at the West End in 1954.
Saw Mill Run Boulevard at the Fort Pitt
Tunnels/Parkway West exchange (left), and a group of homes
nestled beneath the Mount Washington hillside near the interchange,
Looking towards the Whited Street intersection
and the Oak Viaduct in 1960.
President John F. Kennedy and his motorcade pass
along Route 51 near the intersection with Glenbury Street
on October 13, 1962. This photo was taken only two days before the start of the
Cuban Missile Crisis.
Traffic at the Stewart Avenue intersection (left),
and the Gulf service station that stood at that location, in 1964.
Stewart is the official terminus of Saw Mill Run Boulevard. From this point
on it is refered to as Clairton Boulevard.
The Gulf service station at the Stewart Avenue
intersection in 1964. Long gone are the days of 23 cent gasoline!
Hahn's Warehouse, located on West Saw Mill Run
Boulevard, next to the main roadway, in 1967.
The building sits on the hillside next to the portal bridge at Woodruff
Mensingers Stone Quarry (left), near West Liberty
Avenue, in 1913. This is the spot where the Liberty Tunnels were cut;
A slag train (right) prepares to dump it's lava-like cargo at Brown's Dump near
present-day Century III Mall.
For many more photos and a
visit: Saw Mill
The Oak Viaduct next to the Esso service
station, at Nobels Lane and Saw Mill Run Boulevard, in 1938. The bridge
was built in the 1870s for the Pittsburgh & Castle Shannon
Railroad, then in the early 1900s was reconditioned
for streetcar traffic. The bridge was replaced in the early-2000s for use by
the "T" light rail system.