Eat'n Park Restaurant

The original Eat'n Park Restaurant
on Saw Mill Run Boulevard in 1949.

Eat'n Park is a restaurant chain with locations throughout Pennsylvania, Eastern Ohio, and Northern West Virginia. The franchise began in Pittsburgh's South Hills in 1949, with the business model that customers could drive their car and park at the restaurant, while being waited on by carhops. The original restaurant (pictured above) was located at 2209 Saw Mill Run Boulevard in Overbrook. Although the original restaurant no longer exists, the franchise itself has grown to nearly 100 locations.

The Big Boy icon.

Eat'n Park restaurants were once synonymous with the Big Boy, a double burger sandwich. Eat'n Park actually began as a Bob's Big Boy regional franchisee, using the Big Boy icon. The affiliation with Bob's Big Boy ended in 1975. Today, the Smiley Cookie is the official icon of Eat'n Park. The Smiley Cookie was created by James Broadhurst. The cookie was first introduced to guests in 1986.

The Smiley Cookie icon

Many people often question the origin of the restaurant's name. In the late 1940's, "Park & Eat" was a common phrase and could not be copyrighted. The company decided to reverse it to Eat'n Park. Today, the closest Eat'n Park restaurant to the community of Brookline is located in Dormont at the corner of Pioneer Avenue and West Liberty Avenue.

The original Eat'n Park restaurant was located on the spot occupied today, in 2010, by Frank and Shirley's Restaurant.

<Historical Facts> <> <Brookline History>