MaGee Women's Hospital
Magee-Womens Hospital is a specialty hospital, located at 300 Halkett Street in Oakland, that has been in service for over a century. Although primarily a facility for women, the hospital has offered some services for men since the 1960s. Magee Women's Hospital is part of the UPMC Health System.
The hospital began operation on January 19, 1911, in a home on the corner of Forbes Avenue and Halkett Street known as The Maples. It was envisioned by state Senator Christopher Magee in his will, and as stipulated, opened after the death of his wife Elizabeth Steel Magee. The facility was named in her honor, and in the words of Senator Magee was open "to the sick and injured of all classes without respect to their religion, creed, color, or previous condition."
On October 15, 1915, the women's hospital moved to a permanent facility on Halkett Street. The hospital closed in 1918 during the influenze epidemic and was leased to the U.S. Army to care for stricken soldiers. It reopened to the public in 1920. The hospital was enlarged in 2011 with the addition of six floors and there are plans for further expansion. Magee Women's Hospital of UPMC performs 10,000 births each year.
<Historical Facts> <> <Brookline History>