Pittsburgh's Golden Triangle - 1758
This may be the first official map of Pittsburgh. When the British army, under General Forbes, seized control of the Forks of the Ohio and renamed it "Pittsburgh" in November, 1758, this map was cut. Three months later it appeared in an issue of Scot's Magazine in London. The map identifies several sites by number. The small fort (3) refers to Fort King George, constructed by a small force of Virginians under the command of Captain William Trent in 1754. It was soon captured by the French, who erected Fort Duquesne (2). The British returned to reclaim the forks in 1758, and Pittsburgh was born. There were a few Indian villages up and down the three rivers, the largest called Logstown (10).
<Historical Facts> <> <Brookline History>