Pittsburgh's Golden Triangle - 1804
An oil painting, entitled "Pittsburgh 1804", by George Beck showing Pittsburgh, as it appeared at the turn of the 19th century, in vivid color. The painting was part of the Darlington Library collection of Americana, a gift from that once-prominent Sharpsburg family to the University of Pittsburgh in the 1920s. It was displayed in the library's Cathedral of Learning rooms. It was also been shown in two exhibitions at the Carnegie Museum of Art, in 1916 and 1949. In 1951 the painting was lost, only to be found and returned to the University in 2005. It has since been restored.
<Historical Facts> <> <Brookline History>