The First Newspaper West of the Alleghenies
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette was first published in July of 1786. The first issue of The Pittsburgh Gazette was printed on a Ramage handpress in the back room of the Post Office. For the next two centuries the Pittsburgh daily would bring the news of the world to the citizens of the city.
The Post-Gazette bought the rival Pittsburgh Sun-Telegraph in 1960 and on January 1, 1993 merged with the long-running Pittsburgh Press. Today, the Post-Gazette is the only daily newspaper printed in the city. The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, printed in Greensburg, and the national USA Today are the newspaper's current rivals for local subscribers.
Read the Post-Gazette online at www.post-gazette.com.
<Historical Facts> <> <Brookline History>