The Presbyterian Hospital
Presbyterian Hospital, located at 200 Lothrop Street on the campus of the University of Pittsburgh, is the flagship hospital for the UPMC Healthcare system. A renowned center for organ transplantation, and a recognized leader in cardiology and cardiothoracic surgery, critical care medicine and trauma services, and neurosurgery, the Presbyterian Hospital has been one of Pittsburgh's premier medical facilities for over a century.
Founded in 1893 by Louise Lyle, the wife of a Presbyterian minister, the hospital was incorporated in 1895 as the Presbyterian Hospital of Pittsburgh. The hospital was originally located on the North Side, in what was then known as the City of Allegheny. By the late 1920s, the University of Pittsburgh was in the process of creating a medical center. A tract of land was granted for construction of a new Presbyterian Hospital on the university campus.
Ground was broken for the new hospital in 1930 and construction was completed in 1938. The Presbyterian Hospital, in afflilation with the university, offered a three-tiered mission of patient care, research, and education. In 1961, the hospital name changed to Presbyterian University Hospital, reflecting it's close ties with the University of Pittsburgh.
Some of the notable luminaries in the the field of medical research to work at the Presbyterian Hospital are Jonas Salk, MD, renowned for the polio vaccine; Peter Safar, MD, often called the father of cardiopulmonary resuscitation; and transplant pioneer Thomas E. Starzl, MD, PhD.
In 1986, the hospital entered a shared management agreement with the University’s Medical and Health Care Division, the forerunner of today’s UPMC. Today, after over 100 years of service, UPMC Presbyterian is considered one of the finest healthcare facilities not only in the Pittsburgh region, but on a national level.
<Historical Facts> <> <Brookline History>