The William Penn Hotel
The twenty-three story William Penn Hotel, located between Grant Street and Penn Place across from Mellon Square Plaza, has bee one of Pittsburgh's signature attractions for nearly one hundred years. The landmark hotel, built in 1916 by Henry Clay Frick, was hailed as the Grandest Hotel in the nation.
The hotel, which features many luxurious amenities, including the award-winning restaurant called The Terrace Room, was expanded in 1929 to 1600 rooms, making it the second largest hotel in the world at that time. Renovated in 1984, the William Penn Hotel is still one of the grandest hotels of its kind in the country.
Throughout it's grand history, the William Penn Hotel has been the scene of many memorable occasions and has been visited by several United States Presidents, including Dwight Eisenhower, John F. Kennedy, Lyndon Johnson and Ronald Reagan.
Currently known as the Omni William Penn, this Pittsburgh Historic Landmark now features 596 rooms and the Terrace Room restaurant. The ornate architecture and five-star rating makes the William Penn Hotel one of the time-honored jewels of Pittsburgh.
Official Website: Omni William Penn.
<Historical Facts> <> <Brookline History>