The Liberty Bridge Dedication - 1928
The Liberty Bridge was dedicated on March 27, 1928. The opening of the Liberty Tunnels, in 1924, and the bridge four years later, was a major achievement for the City of Pittsburgh and the evolving transportation network. The tunnels themselves shortened the travel time from the South Hills to downtown significantly. The accompanying bridge lessened that time even more. A motorist could get from the intersection of Saw Mill Run Road and West Liberty Avenue into downtown in less than five minutes on a good day. With rush hour traffic that time might increase to fifteen.
The Liberty Tunnels and Bridge were responsible for a near quadrupling of property values in the South Hills. At the dedication of the Liberty Bridge in 1928, County Commissioner Joseph G. Armstrong's two grandsons undid a ribbon to start a procession of cars across the new span. For the next ninety minutes, automobiles four abreast streamed across it. They went through the tunnels and along South Hills streets and roads lined with thousands of residents. Newspapers called it the longest automobile procession in Pittsburgh history. The combined cost of the new tunnels and bridge was $9,400,000.
<Liberty Tunnels> <> <Brookline History>