Below are a series of Freehold Real Estate brochures and Pittsburgh Press advertisements from 1921 through 1926 regarding the new housing development known as East Brookline. This area, which was part of Overbrook Borough at the time, was located east of Whited Street and was being developed by the West Liberty Improvement Company.
The Liberty Tunnels would be opening in 1924, providing quick and easy access to and from the downtown area. This led to another housing boom in the South Hills. These brochures tout the many benefits of living in the Brookline section of Pittsburgh, and provide an interesting look at the perception of suburbia that prevailed at the time.
Overbrook Borough was annexed into the city of Pittsburgh in 1930. It was at that time that the new homes of East Brookline were incorporated into the boundaries of the official census tract of the community of Brookline.
Click on the images for larger photos
Additional Newspaper Ads:
<Brookline Boulevard> <> <Brookline History>