Brookline's Firefighters - 1911
Brookline's Engine House #57 was built in 1910 and officially went into service on June 23, 1911. This photo shows the first crew of Brookline firefighters, shortly after the station was commissioned, standing in front of the new station with their horse-drawn combination chemical and hose wagon.
The Captain, sitting up front on the left hand side, is Frank McGeary. Captain McGreary became a fireman in 1889 in Allegheny City, and switched to the Pittsburgh Bureau of Fire in 1907 when Allegheny was annexed and became the city's North Side.
The hardy draft horses must have had a difficult time pulling the heavy wagon up and down the many dirt roads along the Brookline hills, especially in inclement weather.
<The Brookline Firehouse> <> <Brookline History>