Knowlson Methodist Church
The Knowlson Methodist Church was the first church built within the boundaries of present-day Brookline, located at the Brookline Junction, where West Liberty Avenue meets Brookline Boulevard. When the church was built in 1868, it was considered the intersection of West Liberty Avenue and Hunter Avenue in West Liberty Borough.
The church was built on the site of an old stump church located on the property of Richard Knowlson. People from all over West Liberty Borough would gather at this location to listen to a preacher tell gospel stories. Soon the Brookline Methodists purchased the land and built the Knowlson Methodist Church. The church was the home of the Methodists until 1906, when they moved into their new church on Brookline Boulevard at Wedgemere Avenue.
In 1906, the church was leased to the new St. Mark's Lutheran Mission. When the Lutheran's built their new chapel on Brookline Boulevard in 1907, they vacated the old church. At this time, the West Liberty United Presbyterian Mission was looking for a suitable location for services.
The Presbyterian Ministry purchased the church in 1908. Renamed the West Liberty United Presbyterian Church, it served that mission until 1913, when the Presbyterians new chapel was built at the corner of Queensboro and Chelton Avenues along Brookline Boulevard. The congregation then changed their name to the Brookline Boulevard United Presbyterian Church.
After 1913, it is not known what congregation occupied the old church. The structure stood until being razed in the early-1930s.
Click on the images for larger pictures
<Brookline Boulevard> <> <Brookline History>