October 9, 1958
The American Flag is raised for the first time over the Brookline Post Office at the dedication ceremony on October 9, 1958. This new and modern Post Office was a major improvement for the Brookline area.
Professor Joseph W. Moore, President of the Brookline Savings and Trust Company was Master of Ceremonies, and Congressman James G. Fulton gave the main address, at the dedication of Brookline's new U.S. Post Office Branch building on Thursday, October 9, 1958. The new Post Office is located at 612 Brookline Boulevard.
The Post Office building has hasn't changed much in appearance over the years, except that it is now wheelchair accessible via a ramp up the front of the building. Professor Moore is one of the legendary figures in the history of Brookline.
He was the long-time principal at Brookline and West Liberty Schools, and responsible for many of the educational and recreational improvements in the community over the first half of the 20th century. Moore Park is named for this remarkable man.
This new Post Office replaced the original Brookline Post Office, called Brookline Station Pittsburgh, located at 742 Brookline Boulevard. That postal branch had been in service for twenty-three years, from September 1, 1935 until October 8, 1958. Prior to that, Brookline mail was delivered from the Dormont Post Office.
For many years in the late-1800s until the early 1900s, the Post Office that served the Brookline area, and the rest of West Liberty Borough, was located on West Liberty Avenue near Capital Avenue, in the residence of Mary Beltzhoover, the local postmaster. Her home is shown below.
Click on images for larger pictures.
* Photos and information provided by Shirley Johnson *
<Brookline Boulevard> <> <Brookline History>