Little League Champs - Kiwanis Club
Members of the
1952 Kiwanis Club team were: James Metz, Robert Walton, Ronald Schad,
Ronald Ausman, Hal Jenkins, Gary Pittinger, Gordon Chraska, Dennis
Mangan, Thomas Powers, Ray Auen, Robert Means, Byrne Doyle, Barton
Christner, Regis Giel, Richard Mezyk and Manager Henry
Click on image
for a larger picture.
* Photo reprinted
from the Brookline Journal *
Little League Parade
inaugural Brookline Little League parade was held on the
evening of May 27, 1952. The parade began at Pioneer Avenue
and flowed along Brookline Boulevard to the new Community
Center field. It was a big day for the community of Brookline,
the Brookline Business Men's Association and all the young
ballplayers who would soon be playing Little League baseball
for the first time. The parade was followed by the opening game
of the 1952 season. Allegheny County Commissioner
John J. Kane was on hand to throw out the ceremonial first
procession passes the Brookline Methodist Church.
Girl Scouts take a group
photo outside the left field fence at the Community Center
baseball field after the parade. They are standing
on the location
of the present-day Brookline Recreation building.
County Commissioner John Kane
throws out the first pitch.
The officers of the
Brookline Business Men's Association Little League (l-r):
John Pascarosa, Morris Grumet, Cliff Waterson, Eugene Means
and Dave Frick.
The managers and coaches
of the four BBMA Little League teams. Front (l-r): Charles
Mike O'Neill, Ed Mathias and Henry Hofbauer. Back (l-r): Dutch Wertz,
Dave Mangan, Bud Auen, Tony Kosinsky and Joe Power.
1952 umpires: Nick Roth,
Don Campbell, Dave Frick and Jack McCaughan.
Map from the Brookline Journal
showing the location of the Community Center Field.
The original group of Brookline Little
Leaguers, lined up on the hillside at the Community Center Field.