Chelton Avenue - 1933
Chelton Avenue in 1933, looking towards Queensboro Avenue and Brookline Boulevard. The boulevard stores are bustling with business. To the right is the Boulevard Triangle and the now vacant Freehold Real Estate office. Due to the economic downturn at the time and the subsequent drop in new home sales, Freehold was forced to close it's Brookline office in 1932 after twenty-eight years.
The land is now owned by prominent local builder James McGaffin, who lives across the street to the right along Brookline Boulevard. McGaffin will soon raze the small building and prepare the land for proposed use as a park to honor war veterans. In March 1934 he will sell the triangle to the City of Pittsburgh for development into a Veteran's Memorial.
Click on image for a larger picture.
<Now and Then> <> <Brookline History>