Avenue - 1929
These photos show the lower end
of Edgebrook Avenue, near Saw Mill Run Boulevard. Edgebrook is one of the original roads in
Brookline, linking Brookline Boulevard with Saw Mill Run. The Fisher Farm was located slightly further up the road near the midway point
of Edgebrook Avenue for many years. The railroad bridge was built in 1902
as part of the Wabash Pittsburgh Terminal
Railway and is still
in use today by the Pittsburgh and West Virginia Railroad.
on images for larger photos
The image on the left, taken in
1928, shows the intersection with Saw Mill Run Boulevard. Edgebrook Avenue
heads right-to-left in the photo, and the bridge over Saw Mill Run Creek
is barely visible. Today this is the location of a car dealership. The
photo on the right shows the cement mixer used during construction
of Saw Mill Run Boulevard in 1929. Aggregate was dumped directly from
the train cars above into the mixer. The product was then moved by
small gauge rail car to the desired location.
This final picture, taken in 2005,
shows the three-story white home that stands in the background behind the
railroad bridge at the corner of Edgebrook and Timberland Avenue.
<Now and Then> <> <Brookline