Glenbury Street, near the Saw Mill
Run/Library Road intersection, as seen from the hillside above in
Glenbury Street is located in Overbrook
and has scaled the hill from Saw Mill Run Boulevard to Breining Street in
Brookline for well over a century. Like Edgebrook Avenue and Whited Street,
it was a gateway to the Pittsburgh and Castle Shannon
Railroad network that
was the prime mode of transportation to-and-from downtown Pittsburgh before
the advent of the automobile. Today it is still a heavily used roadway and
also the southern terminus of the Port Authority's South Busway.
on images for larger photos
Left - Glenbury Street, 1909; Right -
Railroad freight and passenger station located above Glenbury Street in 1917.
A Pittsburgh and Castle Shannon Railroad
locomotive and a train schedule printed on a Fairhaven Hotel business
The intersection of Glenbury Street and Saw
Mill Run Boulevard during construction in 1929.
Butler Co. Grocers (left) and A&P Grocery
Store at Glenbury and Saw Mill Run Boulevard in 1930.
Left - Glenbury Street near Saw Mill Run in
1940; Right - Gristmill owned by James Foster at the corner of Glenbury and
Saw Mill Run. Built in 1850, the mill burned to the ground in 1907. It stood
where the entrance to the Busway is today.