Random Colorized Images Of Brookline
And The South Hills

Brookline Boulevard - January 1933
Alm's Pharmacy, Blockinger's Boys and Mens Wear, and the Brookline Savings and Trust Company, shown here on Brookline
Boulevard, from the corner of Stebbins Avenue, on January 17, 1933. The building with the marquee is the former
Braverman Theatre, which would bought by Warner Brothers and become the
Boulevard Theatre for many years.

A visit to the website myheritage.com resulted in a free trial membership and an opportunity to sample their DeOldify program. This application colorizes old photos and often the results are amazing. Adding color to old black and white pictures brings warmth and feeling to these vintage images, adding life and making them seem somehow less distant in time. Stunning details emerge that seemed hidden in the grey scale version. This page shows 300+ of the best classic images that were brought to life in living color. Enjoy this visually vivid look back in time.

♦ Brookline Boulevard
♦ Pioneer Avenue
♦ West Liberty Avenue
♦ School Days
♦ Moore Park
♦ Creedmoor Avenue
♦ People And Places

Leonard Kapsch - 1922

Saw Mill Run ♦
Library Road ♦
Liberty Tunnels ♦
Liberty Bridge ♦
Beech Views ♦
City of Pittsburgh ♦
Brookline Connection ♦

Click on images for larger pictures.

Berkshire Avenue - July 1923
Broad, tree-lined Berkshire Avenue on July 25, 1923, looking towards Stebbins Avenue and on towards Castlegate.




Brookline Boulevard

Brookline Boulevard - 1909
The Brookline firehouse, shown here in a 1909 postcard image, was put into service in June 1911.

 

Brookline Boulevard - 1912
A 1912 image of Brookline Boulevard showing a festival-like atmosphere. Up until the 1930s vehicles could travel
in any direction on either side of the street. The large field shown to the left is where people gathered on
Independence Day evening to watch motion pictures using white sheets as a projector screen.

 

Brookline Boulevard - 1916
The intersection of Brookline Boulevard and Flatbush Avenue on March 1, 1916.

 

Brookline Boulevard - 1920
The crew of Engine House #57 in 1920 with their horse-drawn combination chemical and hose wagon.

 

Brookline Boulevard - 1926
Brookline Boulevard and Chelton Avenue in 1926. The Brookline Boulevard United Presbyterian Church
had recently been expanded and in the triangle park stands the Freehold Real Estate office.

 

Brookline Boulevard - 1926
The Brookline Bakery, Dooley's Meat Market, a dairy store and the firehouse stand at the Castlegate Avenue intersection in 1926.

 

Brookline Boulevard - 1929
The crew of Engine House #57 in 1929 with their motorized American La France 750 GPM pumper truck.

 

Brookline Boulevard - January 1933
The 900 block of Brookline Boulevard, as seen from Glenarm Avenue, on January 17, 1933.

 

Brookline Boulevard - January 1933
Brookline Boulevard at the Glenarm Avenue intersection on January 17, 1933.

 

Brookline Boulevard - January 1933
Brookline Boulevard at the Flatbush Avenue intersection on January 17, 1933.

 

Brookline Boulevard - January 1933
The residential side of Brookline Boulevard at the Flatbush Avenue intersection on January 17, 1933.

 

Brookline Boulevard - January 1933
Brookline Boulevard at the Castlegate Avenue intersection on January 17, 1933.

 

Brookline Boulevard - January 1933
The 500 block of Brookline Boulevard, at the intersection with Pioneer Avenue, on January 17,1933.
These buildings were torn down in 2000 for the construction of the present-day CVS Pharmacy.

 

Brookline Boulevard - January 1933
Brookline Boulevard, looking from Flatbush towards Stebbins Avenue, in 1933.

 

Brookline Boulevard - August 1933
Looking at Brookline Boulevard from Chelton Avenue on August 15, 1933.

 

Brookline Boulevard - July 1935
From 1905 to 1935, the Brookline streetcar used an exclusive right-of-way to get from West Liberty Avenue to Pioneer Avenue, shown
here on July 29, 1935. Later that year,
Brookline Boulevard was rerouted onto this looping path, which was widened and paved.

 

Brookline Boulevard - 1935
Pioneer Avenue at Brookline Boulevard on November 21, 1935, during the Boulevard Improvement Project.

 

Brookline Boulevard - 1935
The home of David Hunter, one of the earliest Brookline residents, stands at Pioneer Avenue and Brookline Boulevard.

 

Brookline Boulevard - 1935
The Brookline Boulevard Improvement Project on October 22, 1935. Homes along Jillson and Shawhan Avenues are visible.

 

Brookline Boulevard - 1935
The Brookline Boulevard Improvement Project on October 22, 1935.

 

Brookline Boulevard - 1936
The Brookline Boulevard Improvement Project on October 22, 1935, looking towards the West Liberty Avenue intersection.

 

Brookline Boulevard - 1935
The Brookline Boulevard Improvement Project on November 21, 1935. The retaining wall now sports the Brookline Welcome Sign.

 

Brookline Boulevard - 1935
Pioneer Avenue at Brookline Boulevard on November 21, 1935, during the Boulevard Improvement Project.

 

Brookline Boulevard - 1935
The Brookline Boulevard Improvement Project on November 21, 1935.

 

Brookline Boulevard - 1935
The Brookline Boulevard Improvement Project on November 21, 1935.

 

Brookline Boulevard - 1936
Brookline Boulevard and Pioneer Avenue on June 10, 1936. That's Myer's Service Station and Brookline Pharmacy on the far corner.

 

Brookline Boulevard - 1936
Brookline Boulevard, near the Wedgemere Avenue intersection, on June 23, 1936. Note the Esso filling station along the sidewalk.

 

Brookline Boulevard - 1936
The 500 block of Brookline Boulevard on June 23, 1936. All is well, folks. A fresh supply of beer has arrived!

 

Brookline Boulevard - 1936
Brookline Boulevard in 1936, looking from the triangle park towards Pioneer Avenue.

 

Brookline Boulevard - 1965
An outbound 39-Brookline streetcar at the Pioneer Avenue intersection in 1965.

 

Brookline Boulevard - 1985
Brookline Boulevard in 1985.

 




Pioneer Avenue

Pioneer Avenue - 1900
Two children at play outside the estate of Senator J.E. Fulton. The home stood on the corner of Pioneer and West Liberty
Avenues at the turn of the 20th Century. Purchased from the Fetterman estate in 1902, the Fulton property
was sold around 1930 and the home was razed to build the Bell Telephone building.

 

Pioneer Avenue - July 1915
A loading platform, next to the West Side Belt Railroad, at the lower end of Pioneer Avenue, in July 1915.
This platform, which was later replaced with a concrete one, was a vital unloading area for the
vast quantities of construction supplies necessary for the growing community.

 

Pioneer Avenue - 1916
Pioneer Avenue, looking from Berkshire towards Woodbourne Avenue, on July 3, 1916. The gateway roadway was in the process of
being improved and paved, an event that was touted in newspaper advertisements as another reason to invest in Brookline.

 

Pioneer Avenue - 1916
Pioneer Avenue, looking from Jillson Avenue towards Woodbourne Avenue to the right, on July 3, 1916.
Brookline Elementary School would be just to the right out of frame.

 

Pioneer Avenue - 1916
Pioneer Avenue, looking from near Knowlson Avenue towards Fordham Avenue, on July 3, 1916.

 

Pioneer Avenue - 1916
Pioneer Avenue, looking towards McNeilly Road from near Knowlson Avenue, on July 3, 1916. To the right would
be the
Episcopal Church of the Advent and the homes of Ida and Lydia Fleming.

 

Pioneer Avenue - 1924
Pioneer Avenue, looking from near Crysler Street towards Capital Avenue and Dunster Street, on August 11, 1924.
The
Paul Presbyterian Church is just up the street, to the left out of frame, at the Dunster intersection.

 

Pioneer Avenue - 1924
Pioneer Avenue, looking from Ray towards Bellbrook Avenue, on August 11, 1924.

 

Pioneer Avenue - 1924
Pioneer Avenue was improved, from near Moore Park down the hill to West Liberty Avenue, in 1924. This photo from
August 11 shows a steam shovel at work near the bottom of the hill near Cadet Avenue. A sewer line was laid and
the street paved in belgian block. It remained that way until the mid-1980s when paved over with asphalt.

 

Pioneer Avenue - 1924
Pioneer Avenue in Dormont, near the West Liberty Avenue intersection, looking towards Brookline, in 1935.

 




West Liberty Avenue

West Liberty Avenue - 1904
The earliest known photo of a trolley on West Liberty Avenue, showing a southbound Mt. Lebanon car passing homes
just north of Brookside Avenue, in 1904. The trolley line would be double-tracked the following year.

 

West Liberty Avenue - August 1909
West Liberty Avenue, at the junction with Brookline Boulevard, on August 24, 1909. This lower section of
Brookline Boulevard, from here to Pioneer Avenue, was in the process of being paved in belgian block.

 

West Liberty Avenue - March 1912
Elijah Lee's blacksmith shop and Mill Building Company, at the corner of West Liberty and Warrington Avenues, in March 1912.
Atop the hill in the distance is the home of Peter Miller, and to the far right is the home of Catherine Lang.

 

West Liberty Avenue - March 1912
The Horse Shoeing and Wagon Works of Peter Schaffner in March 1912. Schaffner lived in the home next door.

 

West Liberty Avenue - March 1912
The home of blacksmith Peter Schaffner, at the intersection with Pioneer Avenue next to the railroad trestle, in March 1912. Schaffner's home would be moved back a bit during an upcoming improvement project and then stood until the 1940s.

 

West Liberty Avenue - March 1912
The Brookline home of P. Parker along West Liberty Avenue, near Brookside Avenue, in March 1912.

 

West Liberty Avenue - March 1912
The Brookline home of T. Beal along West Liberty Avenue near Brookside Avenue.
With no modern plumbing, a well and outhouse were necessities.

 

West Liberty Avenue - March 1912
The property of the American Mechanics Association, at the corner of Cape May and West Liberty Avenue, in March 1912.
This Brookline building was, for several years before 1898, the original West Liberty Elementary School.

 

West Liberty Avenue - March 1912
Brookline homes along West Liberty Avenue, just north of Stetson Street, in March 1912.

 

West Liberty Avenue - March 1912
William G. Dooley's Central Meat Market at the corner of West Liberty Avenue and Stetson Street in March 1912. Up the
to the left was the Paul Mining Company, with a shaft dug just to the left of Stetson and Woodward Avenue.
Just up the street from Dooley's is the property of T. Harley, including a wood shed,
home and a laundry at the corner of Capital Avenue.

 

West Liberty Avenue - March 1912
West Liberty Avenue, looking north at a Beechview townhouse across from Stetson Street, in March 1912.

 

West Liberty Avenue - March 1912
J. L. O'Donnell's Wholesale Liquor store, at the Curran Hill intersection across from Capital Avenue, in March 1912.
The sign advertises homes in Beechview's Curran-Algeo Plan just up the hill to the left.

 

West Liberty Avenue - March 1912
Beltzhoover's Pool Room, on West Liberty Avenue near the intersection with Capital Avenue, in March 1912.

 

West Liberty Avenue - March 1912
The Brookline residence of Mary Beltzhoover, on West Liberty Avenue between Ray and Capital Avenues. During the West Liberty
Borough days, prior to 1908, Mary was the postmaster for the Fetterman PO, with the office at her home.

 

West Liberty Avenue - March 1912
Clothes hang on the line at the Beechview home of Estella Flanders, across from Ray Avenue, in March 1912. There
were several more homes along that side of the street all the way to Curran Hill Avenue, properties owned
by the Whyel, Rosefelt, Welch, Miller and Piroth estates. The final building was the St. Clair House.

 

West Liberty Avenue - March 1912
Another Beechview home owned by Estella Flanders, north of Pauline Avenue, in March 1912.

 

West Liberty Avenue - March 1912
Estella Flander's Stables and General Store, located north of Pauline Avenue in Beechview, in March 1912.

 

West Liberty Avenue - March 1912
The Beechview home of William Abbott, just north of Pauline Avenue, in March 1912.

 

West Liberty Avenue - March 1912
The Beechview home of George C. Becker, at the Pauline Avenue intersection, in March 1912.

 

West Liberty Avenue - March 1912
J. Claude Grocers and two new Brookline homes, across from the Pauline Avenue intersection, in March 1912.

 

West Liberty Avenue - March 1912
The Brookline home of J. Hailey on West Liberty Avenue, just north of the Brookline Junction, in March 1912.

 

West Liberty Avenue - March 1912
The Beechview home of J. B. Knowlson, near Belle Isle Avenue, in March 1912. The stream passing in front of the home is
Plummer's Run Creek. The water flow was diverted into the sewer system in 1915 during an improvement project.

 

West Liberty Avenue - April 1913
Wenzell Avenue, at the West Liberty Avenue intersection, in April 1913. Visible are the stables for Beinhauer's Funeral Home.

 

West Liberty Avenue - March 1915
Surveyors working at the Brookline Junction on March 18, 1915. The upcoming West Liberty Avenue Improvement Project, contracted
to Booth and Flinn, Ltd. cost $385,000 and completely transformed the rural road into a broad, urban Main Street.

 

West Liberty Avenue - March 1915
Looking south along West Liberty Avenue from Warrington Avenue on March 18, 1915.

 

West Liberty Avenue - March 1915
The rear of the Joseph Bandi home, at the corner of West Liberty Avenue and Warrington Avenue, on March 18, 1915.
The small stream flowing to the left is Plummer's Run. Originating in Dormont near Potomac Avenue, the stream is
named after early pioneer Nathaniel Plummer. West Liberty Avenue was originally called Plummer's Run.

 

West Liberty Avenue - March 1915
A wagon loaded with goods heading south along West Liberty Avenue, approaching Ray Avenue, on March 18, 1915.

 

West Liberty Avenue - March 1915
Brookline homes along West Liberty Avenue, north of Stetson Street, on March 18, 1915. The young lad says "Hello!"

 

West Liberty Avenue - March 1915
A wagon and an inbound 39-Brookline streetcar approaching the Cape May Car Stop along West Liberty Avenue on
March 18, 1915. Looks like the slow-moving wagon may have to yield to the fast-moving electrified trolley.

 

West Liberty Avenue - April 1915
Two boys sit on a stack of wood outside the Oyer home, watching construction work at the Brookline Junction, in April 1915.

 

West Liberty Avenue - April 1915
The West Liberty sewer line running past the home of Peter Schaffner, next to Pioneer Avenue, in April 1915.
Schaffner's home was lifted several feet and moved about ten yards back out of the construction path.
A new brick foundation was built under the home and it remained there until the 1940s.
The Bandi home straight on in the distance was also moved out of the way.

 

West Liberty Avenue - May 1915
West Liberty Avenue at Wenzell Avenue in May 1915. Visible are Harley's Express Moving and General Hauling,
the
West Liberty Methodist Church and the Oyer estate, along with a few other Brookline homes in
the Fleming Place Plan. Atop the hill to the left is the home at 2809 Pioneer Avenue.

 

West Liberty Avenue - June 1915
Digging the sewer trench along West Liberty Avenue, outside of Dooley's Meat Market at Stetson Street, in June 1915.

 

West Liberty Avenue - June 1915
A service trolley and a Kaufmann's Delivery Wagon, outside the West Liberty Hotel near Warrington Avenue, in June 1915.

 

West Liberty Avenue - July 1915
Installing the double track streetcar lines at the Brookline Junction in July 1915.

 

West Liberty Avenue - July 1915
A man and his three sons riding the rails in their horse-drawn wagon, heading southbound near Stetson Street, on August 5, 1915.

 

West Liberty Avenue - August 1915
A Marion steam shovel dumping a load of earth and rock into an empty wagon, near Pioneer Avenue, on August 5, 1915.
To the left are homes in the Sauter Place Plan and a Pioneer Avenue home along the hillside.
Behind to the workers are the Brookline homes of J. Vallor and J.A. Talbert.

 

West Liberty Avenue - August 1915
A brick mason and his apprentice working on the West Liberty Avenue sewer on August 5, 1915.

 

West Liberty Avenue - August 1915
A woman and her six children, dressed in their Sunday finest, waiting for the inbound trolley at Capital Avenue on August 5, 1915.

 

West Liberty Avenue - August 1915
A gentleman waiting for the outbound trolley at the Curran Hill Car Stop along West Liberty Avenue on August 5, 1915.
Behind him is the West Liberty Market, formerly the Wholesale Liquor Store, at the intersection.

 

West Liberty Avenue - September 1915
Two 39-Brookline trolleys heading inbound, approaching the Capital Avenue Car Stop, on September 2, 1915. To the right
is activity at Zehfuss' St. Clair House and ivy grows on the porch of E. Piroth's Beechview home.

 

West Liberty Avenue - September 1915
Workers digging the sewer trench along West Liberty Avenue, just south of Capital Avenue, on September 2, 1915.

 

West Liberty Avenue - October 1915
A wagon from James A. McAteer and Sons, Inc. Wholesale Grocers stands at the Cape May intersection on October 11, 1915.

 

West Liberty Avenue - December 1915
West Liberty Avenue, heading north approaching Pioneer Avenue, in December 1915. Much has changed in the previous eight months.
A layer of dirt was placed on the belgian block roadway. In time the dirt would fill the spaces between the stones
and the excess would wash away. A few months later the street would be clean.

 

West Liberty Avenue - December 1915
George Kerr's Horseshoeing and Wagon Repair shop, at the corner of Wenzell and West Liberty Avenue, in December 1915.

 

West Liberty Avenue - June 1916
West Liberty Avenue, looking north towards the Brookline Junction from near the Pittsburgh/Dormont border.
The
West Liberty School can be seen atop the hill in the distance.

 

West Liberty Avenue - June 1916
The Brookline Junction in June 1916, looking south towards the city line and Dormont Borough.

 

West Liberty Avenue - June 1916
West Liberty Avenue, looking north from the Brookline Junction towards Belle Isle Avenue, in June 1916.

 

West Liberty Avenue - June 1916
West Liberty Avenue, looking north approaching Pauline Avenue, in June 1916. The layer of dirt is gone, revealing the new granite
block boulevard. Those dark piles along the street are not dirt. They are the by-products of horse-drawn transportation.

 

West Liberty Avenue - June 1916
West Liberty Avenue, looking north from Ray Avenue towards Capital Avenue, in June 1916.

 

West Liberty Avenue - June 1916
A woman and her child walking along West Liberty Avenue, approaching Capital Avenue, in June 1916.

 

West Liberty Avenue - June 1916
West Liberty Avenue, looking north from Capital Avenue towards Stetson Street, in 1916. The building
to the right is T. Harley's Laundry. Harley's residence is the next home down the street.

 

West Liberty Avenue - June 1916
West Liberty Avenue, looking north from Stetson Street towards Cape May Avenue, in June 1916.

 

West Liberty Avenue - 1918
Looking down from the Pittsburgh Railways Beechview line at the West Liberty/Warrington crossroads in 1918.

 

West Liberty Avenue - 1918
Looking down from the West Side Belt railroad trestle at the intersection of West Liberty and Warrington Avenues in 1918.

 

West Liberty Avenue - October 1919
Warrington Avenue (later Saw Mill Run Boulevard) looking towards the West Liberty Avenue intersection in 1919.

 

West Liberty Avenue - 1922
Buildings along West Liberty Avenue at the corner of Saranac Avenue, shown here on April 20, 1922.
On the opposite hillside, the two large homes to the right belong to the
Hughey family.

 

West Liberty Avenue - 1925
West Liberty Avenue in Dormont, looking north from near Mississippi towards Potomac Avenue, in 1925.

 

West Liberty Avenue - 1925
Sewer line construction at the West Liberty Avenue/Saw Mill Run Boulevard intersection on June 25, 1925. The homes
on the hillside to the right stand along Rapello Street. It is interesting to note that before the 1909 upgrade
of the West Side Belt Railroad line, Pioneer Avenue came straight down between the first two homes
rather than making the left turn at the tracks and heading down to West Liberty Avenue.

 

West Liberty Avenue - 1925
Sewer line construction at the West Liberty Avenue/Saw Mill Run Boulevard intersection on June 25, 1925.
Visible in the distance is the Palm Garden Dance Hall atop the hill in Mount Washington.

 

West Liberty Avenue - 1926
Road improvements along West Liberty Avenue in Dormont, near Biltmore Avenue, in 1926.
The Bethany Lutheran Church, at Park Boulevard, is in the distance to the left.

 

West Liberty Avenue - March 1931
The Gulf service station at the corner of Saw Mill Run Boulevard and West Liberty Avenue on March 26, 1931. The man and child
on the sidewalk are passing J.E. Harris Confectionery, which was in business from 1916 through the 1960s.

 

West Liberty Avenue - November 1932
West Liberty Avenue, approaching the Liberty Tunnels, on November 1, 1932. The lack of traffic signals makes for
some challenging defensive driving. In July 1930, the Pittsburgh Press listed this South Hills
crossroads as one of the
Ten Deadliest Intersections in Pittsburgh.

 

West Liberty Avenue - January 1939
Digging back the hillside during the West Liberty Avenue Trolley Ramp project on January 23, 1939.

 

West Liberty Avenue - April 1939
Construction of the retaining wall during the West Liberty Avenue Trolley Ramp project on April 24, 1939.

 

West Liberty Avenue - June 1939
The West Liberty Avenue Trolley Ramp on June 10, 1939. To the left is the West Liberty Tire Company,
John's Lumber Company and the original Matthews Bronze Brookline office.

 

West Liberty Avenue - August 1939
The West Liberty Avenue Trolley Ramp on August 9, 1939.

 

West Liberty Avenue - August 1939
The West Liberty Avenue Trolley Ramp opened to traffic on August 15, 1939. This was the first streetcar to pass through.

 

West Liberty Avenue - 1950
Downtown Pontiac, shown here in the 1950s, was located near the corner of Capital Avenue, at 2001 West Liberty Avenue.
The popular local dealership was in business until the mid-1980s.

 

West Liberty Avenue - November 1950
West Liberty Avenue on November 30, 1950. The National Guard troops were called in to maintain order after
the
Thanksgiving Day Blizzard that dumped over thirty inches of snow on the Pittsburgh area.

 




School Days

West Liberty School - 1909
The West Liberty School, built in 1898 and shown here in 1909, was known locally as the "Little Red Schoolhouse." The school
building, located along Pioneer Avenue, was in operation, as a grade school from 1898 to 1939, and then as Elizabeth Seton
High School from 1941 to 1971. The bell tower was removed in 1942 after the bell was scrapped during World War II.

 

Resurrection Church - 1910
Resurrection Church in 1910. The church/school building would see three expansions before completed in 1928.
The church was located on the lower level until a new sanctuary was built in 1939.

 

Resurrection School - 1911
There are plenty of smiling faces at a fundraiser for the construction of the Resurrection School building in 1911.

 

Resurrection Students - 1912
The upper grades in the first group of students at Resurrection School in 1912.

 

Brookline School Garden - 1916
The Brookline School Garden, located in the open land bordered by Rossmore, Gallion and Pioneer Avenues, shown here in 1916.
When the original land was sold to developers, the school garden was moved to an open lot next to the school.
The very successful Pittsburgh Public School program began at Brookline School in 1909.

 

Oak Elementary School - 1930
The Oak Elementary School, located along Ballinger Avenue, on February 12, 1930. The school was built in 1908,
replacing an older schoolhouse dating to the early-1890s. The school was in service until 1943.

 

Overbrook School - 1934
Overbrook Elementary School, along Saw Mill Run Boulevard, on June 20, 1934. Built in 1928,
the school was enlarged twice and remained was in service until 2003.

 

Resurrection School - 1936
A first grade class at Resurrection Elementary during the 1935/1936 school year.

 

Fairview School - 1940
Fairview Elementary School, on Hillview Avenue in Overbrook, on March 11, 1940. Built in 1907 and
originally called Overbrook School #1, it was in service until 1974 and razed two years later.

 

Brookline School - 1942
A Defense Stamp drive at Brookline School on June 2, 1942. Neighborhood children were very active in the war effort at home.

 

Brookline School - 1942
Brookline School was the #1 Pittsburgh Public School in the sale of Defense Stamps in 1942.

 

Brookline School - 1945
A travel and geography class at Brookline School in 1945.

 

Brookline School - 1945
A music class at Brookline School in 1945.

 

Brookline School - 1945
A journalism class at Brookline School in 1945.

 

Brookline School - 1945
The graduating class at Brookline School in the spring of 1945. The young man in the front row, fifth from the left,
is
Robert Sallin, who went on to a successful career as a Hollywood film producer,
including one of the feature length Star Trek movies.

 

Brookline School - 1950
The graduating class at Brookline School in the spring of 1950.

 

West Liberty School Garden - 1951
The West Liberty School garden in 1951.

 

Resurrection School - 1952
The Resurrection School football team at Moore Park in 1952. The team competed in the Diocesan League.

 

Brookline School - 1953
The graduating class at Brookline School in the spring of 1953.

 

Resurrection School - 1957
A new addition to Resurrection School was opened in 1957. The annex contained six new classrooms.

 

Resurrection School - 1957
A classroom at Resurrection School in 1957.

 

Resurrection School - 1957
A classroom at Resurrection School in 1957.

 

Resurrection School - 1957
Every day at Resurrection School, Creedmoor Avenue was blocked off from Oakridge to Brookline Boulevard during lunch hours
so the students could have a place to play. For a couple hours each day the street was alive with hundreds of students.
Despite the objections of some residents, this policy was
officially recognized by the city on October 22, 1933.

 

Resurrection School - 1957
Students gather for the May Crowning at Resurrection School in 1957.

 

Resurrection School - 1957
The courtyard at Resurrection School in 1957. During recess this area was alive with activity.

 

Resurrection School - 1957
One of the Resurrection graduating classes from the 1956/1957 school year.

 

Our Lady of Loreto - March 1961
digitaries and parishioners gather for the groundbreaking of Our Lady of Loreto church/school on March 28, 1961.
This wooded section of Brookline, next to Moore Park, was referred to locally as "Our Enchanted Forest."

 

Our Lady of Loreto - March 1961
Father Arthur Garbin and other dignitaries at the groundbreaking for Our Lady of Loreto church/school on March 28, 1961.

 

Our Lady of Loreto - April 1961
Clearing the land for the construction of Our Lady of Loreto church/school in April 1961.

 

Our Lady of Loreto - 1961
Our Lady of Loreto church/school under construction in September 1961.

 

Our Lady of Loreto - 1962
Our Lady of Loreto church/school is nearing completion in July 1962.

 

Elizabeth Seton High School - 1962
A Brentwood Motor Coach bus drops students off along Pioneer Avenue at Elizabeth Seton High School in 1962.

 

Resurrection School - 1964
The Resurrection Activities Building under construction in December 1964. The final addition to the school would include
a garage, gymnasium, lockers, banquet hall, library and several additional classroom.
Resurrection Church/School was
built on the highest ground in Brookline, and from the church window the view of the community was magnificent.

 

Resurrection School - 1965
The Resurrection Activities Building under construction in January 1965. It was completed for the 1965/66 school year.

 




Moore Park

Moore Park 1938
The parking lot and entrance to Moore Park on May 25, 1938. It would be two years before park construction was completed.

 

Moore Park 1939
Moore Park pool and bath house construction as of October 31, 1939.

 

Moore Park 1939
Moore Park pool and bath house construction as of January 9, 1940.

 

Moore Park 1939
Moore Park pool and bath house construction as of June 3, 1940.

 

Moore Park 1939
Moore Park pool and bath house construction as of July 3, 1940.

 

Moore Park 1939
The front entrance to the Moore Park pool and bath house on August 2, 1940. The grand opening would be held seven days later.

 

Moore Park - 1952
Fans gather for the first Brookline Pony League playoff game hosted at Moore Park in 1952.

 

Moore Park - 1961
Football practice at Moore Park in the fall of 1961. Our Lady of Loreto Church/School is under construction to the right.

 




Creedmoor Avenue

Creedmoor Avenue - 1919
Creedmoor Avenue, at the Clippert Street intersection, looking downhill towards Brookline Boulevard, on May 28, 1919.
Resurrection Church and School stands to the left. Creedmoor is being resurfaced in paving bricks and belgian block.
You can see homes along Bellaire Avenue and Brookline Boulevard, with the iconic firehouse tower, in the distance.

 

Creedmoor Avenue - 1919
Homes along Creedmoor Avenue on May 28, 1919. These homes stand across the street from Resurrection Church and School.
From 1912 to 1957 the first two homes served as Convent for the Sisters of Charity that taught at the school.

 

Creedmoor Avenue - 1919
Creedmoor Avenue on May 28, 1919, looking towards Oakridge Avenue and beyond to Resurrection Church and School.

 

Creedmoor Avenue - 1919
This home at 1201 Creedmoor Avenue was built in 1912 to serve as Resurrection Church rectory and home to Pastor James Quinn
and the other priests. Shown here on May 28, 1919, the home served in that capacity until 1939.

 

Creedmoor Avenue - 1919
Homes along Creedmoor Avenue on May 28, 1919.

 

Creedmoor Avenue - 1919
Homes along Creedmoor Avenue on May 28, 1919.

 

Creedmoor Avenue - 1919
Homes along Creedmoor Avenue on May 28, 1919.

 




People And Places

Philip Fisher Wedding - 1898
The 1898 wedding of Barbara Hufnagel and Philip Fisher, who owned a seventeen acre farm along Edgebrook Avenue.
Many of the local citizenry are in attendance. The man with the bucket is showering the crowd in blessings.

 

Philip Fisher - 1902
Local farmer Philip Fisher outside his home along Edgebrook Avenue in 1902.

 

Kerr House - 1909
The home of local blacksmith George Kerr, built in 1898 at the corner of Wenzell and West Liberty Avenues and shown here in 1909.

 

Timberland Avenue - 1909
The dairy farm owned by John Schafer and S. Jacobs along Timberland Avenue, shown here on October 14, 1909.

 

Cadet Avenue - 1909
Homes along Cadet and Linial Avenues in the Boggs Place Plan, shown here on October 14, 1909.

 

West Side Belt Railroad - 1909
Looking down at the West Side Belt Railroad line on October 14, 1909. The busy freight line was being upgraded for heavier
traffic. This resulted in the construction of the tunnels at Crane Avenue, Overbrook School, Glenbury Avenue, McNeilly
Road and so on down the line, the West Liberty and Edgebrook Avenue bridges and the Castle Shannon viaduct.
Homes along Timberland Avenue, and the Saw Mill Run Valley, can be seen below and beyond the tracks.

 

Brookline Boulevard - January 1910
This is one of the Pittsburgh Coal Company power stations and ventilation shafts for the Oak Mine. This station stood from
1905 to 1915 and was located at the Brookline Junction with West Liberty Avenue.

 

Mine Opening - 1910
This image represents all of the coal mining ventures around the Brookline area that took place between 1870 and 1941.
The
Oak Mine was rich in black gold, and 95% of the Brookline and surrounding area has been undermined.

 

Timberland Avenue - 1918
The Timberland Avenue Bridge, designated City Bridge D-315, connects Cadet Avenue (to the left) and Timberland Avenue.
Built in 1909, the bridge and passes over the Belt Railroad tracks. It was the only link for homes in the Boggs Place Plan
to get off the hill to the main roads. The bridge stood until 1925 when Cadet Avenue was extended to Pioneer Avenue.

 

Timberland Avenue - 1918
The view of the Saw Mill Run valley from the Timberland Avenue Bridge on August 1, 1918.
That is the Pittsburgh Railways McKinley High Bridge in the distance.

 

Timberland Avenue - 1918
The tracks of the West Side Belt Railroad pass under the Timberland Avenue Bridge on August 1, 1918.

 

Fordham Avenue - March 1921
Homes along Fordham Avenue, near the Ardsley Avenue intersection, on March 15, 1921.

 

Fordham Avenue - March 1921
A home at the corner of Fordham and Stebbins Avenue on March 15, 1921.

 

Fordham Avenue - March 1921
Two homes along Fordham Avenue on March 15, 1921. That is the Queensboro Avenue intersection in the distance.

 

Fordham Avenue - March 1921
Fordham Avenue, looking from Castlegate towards Midland Avenue, on March 15, 1921.

 

Sussex Avenue Sewer - June 1921
A new sewer pipe being installed along Sussex Avenue on June 10, 1921.

 

Fleming Place Plan - 1922
A view of the Fleming Place Plan in Brookline from Vodelli Avenue in Beechview in 1922. Homes along Jillson, Shawhan and
Aidly Avenue are visible. Brookline School can be seen atop the hill along Pioneer Avenue.

 

The Fisher Sisters - 1923
The five Fisher sisters in 1923. They have a combined age of 350 years. Seated: Mary Fisher Anderson (69)
and Margaretha Fisher Fieck (63). Standing: Elizabeth Fisher Stumme (73), Catherine Fisher Friday (75)
and Helena Fisher Edwards (70). Their other two sisters, Eva and Caroline Fisher had already passed.

 

Freedom Avenue - October 1924
A wagon loaded with coal makes the turn off Merrick Avenue onto Freedom Avenue on October 7, 1924.

 

Freedom Avenue - October 1924
Two cars parked along Freedom Avenue on October 7, 1924. A new home is being built along Wareman Avenue.

 

Bay Ridge Avenue - October 1924
Homes along Bay Ridge Avenue on October 9, 1924.

 

Rossmore Avenue - May 1925
Two women talking along Rossmore Avenue. The view is looking from Wedgemere uphill towards Pioneer Avenue, on May 25, 1925.

 

Rossmore Avenue - May 1925
Rossmore Avenue, looking from Wedgemere Avenue uphill towards Flatbush Avenue, on May 25, 1925. The tree has to go!

 

Rossmore Avenue - June 1925
Homes along Timberland Avenue (left) and Cadet Avenue (hilltop), seperated by the Timberland Avenue Bridge, in June 1925.

 

Wedgemere Avenue - August 1925
Three children, two on tricycles and one on a wagon, look to be having some fun on the Wedgemere Avenue hill,
between Bellaire and Rossmore Avenues, on August 21, 1925. Another kid stands on a nearby porch looking
as if he'd like to join in the fun, while a woman looks out the side window of the home next door.

 

Wedgemere Avenue - August 1925
Street improvement work along Wedgemere Avenue, at the Rossmore intersection, on August 21, 1925. The children on tricycles
look to be keeping a keen eye on things. A note of interest is that where the homes stand on the left, between Rossmore
and Gallion Avenues, was from 1914 to 1922, the community baseball park, playground and festival location.

 

Glenarm Avenue - circa 1930
The Bob O Link Golf Driving Range, located along Pioneer where Moore Park now stands. The range, shown here in 1930,
was a popular attraction from the mid-1920s until 1931, when the land was purchased by the city to build a park.

 

Glenarm Avenue - June 1930
A garage along Glenarm Avenue. The view is towards the Berwin Avenue intersection on June 24, 1930.

 

Glenarm Avenue - June 1930
The 2400 block of Glenarm Avenue, near the Berwin Avenue intersection, on June 24, 1930.

 

McNeilly Road - 1930
The South Hills Coal Company, located along McNeilly Road (Elwynn), next to the Wabash railroad tunnel. The company
was in operation here from the early-1900s until the early-1940s, when mining in the Brookline area ceased.
The South Hills Coal Company was one of the main suppliers of local home heating coal.

 

Whited Mansion - 1930
The old Hayes Mansion at 1900 Whited Street (1766 Ballinger). Built in the 1850s and home to wealthy landowner Jacob Hayes
and his son, Milton, president of the
Pittsburgh & Castle Shannon Railroad. The building is the oldest building in Brookline,
and some say that it is haunted. From 1984 to 2014 this was the location of Larry's Roadhouse bar and restaurant.

 

Whited Mansion - 1930
One of the rooms inside the Hayes Mansion at 1900 Whited Street (1766 Ballinger) circa 1900.

 

Whited Mansion - 1930
One of the rooms inside the Hayes Mansion at 1900 Whited Street (1766 Ballinger) circa 1900.

 

Viaduct Way - June 1931
Viaduct Way, the alley between Norwich (left) and Fordham Avenues, as seen from Queensboro Avenue on June 17, 1931.

 

Woodward Avenue - 1932
A stepped board walkway along Woodward Avenue, looking to the Capital Avenue intersection, in 1932. Homes along
Plainview Avenue stand along the hillside. The West Liberty schoolhouse is barely visible in the upper left.

 

Sussex Avenue - 1933
The home at the corner of Fordham and Sussex Avenue, as seen on April 4, 1933.

 

Sussex Avenue - 1933
A group of men gather at a garage along Tariff Way, at Sussex Avenue, on April 4, 1933. Laundry hangs on
the clothes line and the youngster walking away looks to have had enough of the conversation at hand.

 

Woodbourne Avenue - 1933
Lariat Way, the alley behind Woodbourne Avenue, as seen from Sussex and Bay Ridge Avenue, on April 4, 1933.

 

Woodbourne Avenue - 1933
The rear of homes along Woodbourne Avenue, as seen from Sussex Avenue on April 4, 1933.

 

Woodbourne Avenue - 1933
Queensboro Avenue, looking down from Chelton Avenue, on August 15, 1933. Sewer work is being done at the bottom
of the hill, at the Berkshire intersection. Queensboro would be paved to Norwich Avenue later that summer.

 

Stebbins Avenue Steps - 1933
The city steps along Stebbins Avenue, looking up towards Woodbourne Avenue, in 1933.

 

Belle Isle Steps - 1934
The city steps along Belle Isle Avenue, looking up from Plainview Avenue, on September 18, 1934.

 

Shawhan Avenue - 1935
Shawhan Avenue in November 1935, looking towards Bodkin Street (then still designated as Brookline Boulevard).
The home straight ahead with the dual porch was the original
St. Mark Lutheran Church.

 

Anderson Farm - 1936
The Anderson Farm, which stood between Breining Street and Brookline Boulevard, in 1936. This is now the location of
Brookline Memorial Park. Homes along Milan Avenue, Bellaire Place and the boulevard can be seen in the distance.

 

Presbyterian Church - 1939
The Women's Bible Class at the Brookline Boulevard United Presbyterian Church, sitting in the lawn next to the old Stone Chapel
in 1939. The space where they rest became the ground for the Children's Education Center in 1953.

 

The Kapsch Family - 1939
The family of Josef and Amalia Kapsch, two of Brookline's earliest homebuyers, moving into their home at 1114 Milan Avenue in 1906.

 

Beaufort Avenue - 1940
Kids having a snowball battle in the front yard at 1002 Beaufort Avenue in 1940.

 

Seaton Avenue - 1941
New home construction along Seaton Avenue and Creedmoor Place in 1941.

 

Whited Street - 1941
This is the home at 2306 Whited Street, the third house up from Marloff Place. Shown here in 1941, the house
was constructed in 1939. It was the first home built along this section of Whited. The plot of land
was purchased from the Marloff family, who owned the farm house in the distance to the right.
Other homes followed as the Marloffs sold off lots for development.

 

Boys Collecting Scrap - 1945
The Stengel brothers, James Gillespie and other members of James Cowan's Boy Scout Troop collecting
scrap goods and other items for the war effort along Norwich Avenue in 1945.

 

Altmar Street - 1946
The expansion to Altmar Street from Bellaire Avenue in underway in 1946.

 

United Presbyterian Church - 1953
The laying of the second cornerstone on the United Presbyterian Church Children's Education Center in 1953. The minister
is Reverend Stillman Foster, who headed mission 1951 to 1959. On the right hand side of the platform in the
back row is Samuel McClelland, and to his right is Nettie McClelland. The McClelland family had been
members of the Brookline United Presbyterian Mission since February 1913.

 

Bellaire Place - 1953
Children at play in the front yard at 1322 Bellaire Place in the summer of 1953.

 

Whited Street - 1957
Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railroad locomotives pass over Whited Street, at the Jacob Street intersection, in 1957.

 

Football Practice - 1958
Players get instructions from mom during a 1958 football practice in the yard at 1501 Brookline Boulevard.

 

Northcrest Avenue - 1960
Northcrest Avenue, looking towards the intersection with Pioneer Avenue, in 1960.

 

Berkshire Avenue - 1960
Looking uphill at the Y-intersection of Berkshire Avenue (to the left) and Chelton Avenue, in 1960 during a street
resurfacing project. Berkshire Avenue, from Freedom Avenue to Woodbourne Avenue, is paved in concrete.

 

Berkshire Avenue - 1960
Another image of Berkshire Avenue during a street improvement project in 1960. The Chelton Avenue intersection
is just ahead, and in the distance are homes along Creedmoor Avenue.

 

Wedding aat Resurrection Church - 1960
The wedding of Patricia McGibbeny and Gerald Burton at Resurrection Church on November 19, 1960.

 

Wedding at Resurrection Church - 1960
A crowd gathers outside Resurrection Church after the wedding of Patricia McGibbeny and Gerald Burton on November 19, 1960.

 

Community Center Field - 1969
The Community Center baseball field in 1969. The field was first used in 1952 for Brookline's first Little League season. On the
plateau above the field is the old
Anderson farmhouse, which acted as the Recreation Activities Building from 1947 until 1971.

 

Recreation Center - 1970
Masons working on the Brookline Recreation Center building in 1970. The gentleman in the foreground is Rudy Lopez, a basketball
enthusiast who made the most of his efforts, becoming a regular Recreation Center patron until his passing in March 2018.

 

Recreation Center - 1970
Groundbreaking for the Brookline Recreation Center was in July 1969. This image shows masons erecting the concrete block walls
for the lower level. The building was dedicated in May 1971 and staffed by the city Department of Parks and Recreation.

 

Community Council - 1982
Brookline Area Community Council members Alice Doran and Elva McGibbeny (both sitting), Marge Labawy and Vi Nolla in 1982.
These energetic ladies helped bring some remarkable changes to Brookline, including the expansion of Brookline Park.

 

Kribels Bakery - 2004
The inside of Kribel's Bakery in 2004. The family-run business was in operation on the boulevard for over 65 years.
In 2015 the establishment changed ownership and is now called DeLuca's Bakery.

 




Saw Mill Run

Pittsburgh & Castle Shannon Railroad - 1909
Locomotive #9 of the Pittsburgh & Castle Shannon Railroad at the Lebanon station in Mount Lebanon in 1901. The narrow gauge
railroad operated along the Saw Mill Run corridor from Pittsburgh to Mount Lebanon from 1872 to 1912,
offering passenger and freight traffic to South Hills residents, along with coal traffic.

 

Pittsburgh & Castle Shannon Railroad - 1905
An outbound Pittsburgh & Castle Shannon Railroad passenger train passes through the Overbrook area around the turn of the century.

 

Saw Mill Run Valley - 1909
Construction of a traffic culvert along the township road that ran through the Saw Mill Run valley, on July, 9, 1909.
This is at present-day Bausman Street, and the small stream flows to Saw Mill Run Creek.

 

Franum Street - 1919
The Franum Street footbridge across Saw Mill Run Creek on October 17, 1919.

 

Saw Mill Run Boulevard - 1929
Saw Mill Run Bridge #4, along the approach to the intersection with West Liberty Avenue, in 1929.

 

Saw Mill Run Boulevard - 1929
A tractor and steam shovel level a path during the first phase of the construction of Saw Mill Run Boulevard on April 30, 1929.

 

Saw Mill Run Boulevard - 1930
The parade procession for the grand opening of the first phase of Saw Mill Run Boulevard in the spring of 1930.
This part of the project completed the first leg of the boulevard, from Stewart to Warrington Avenue.

 

Saw Mill Run Boulevard - 1930
Engineers doing test bores on March 14, 1930, before beginning to excavate the cut between Crane Avenue and Woodruff Street.

 

Saw Mill Run Boulevard - 1930
The 135 foot deep cut for the boulevard, approaching Woodruff Street. Over 500,000 cubic yards of earth and rock was removed.

 

Saw Mill Run Boulevard - 1930
Cars parked at the Woodruff Street terminus of Saw Mill Run Boulevard on September 9, 1930. This was dedication
day for the second phase of the Saw Mill Run project, which now stretched from Stewart Avenue to Woodruff Street.

 

Saw Mill Run Boulevard - 1934
R. Stauffer's Overbrook Market on Saw Mill Run Boulevard, near Overbrook School, on June 20, 1934.

 

Saw Mill Run Boulevard - 1934
A service station along Saw Mill Run Boulevard, across the street from the Overbrook Market, in 1934.

 

Saw Mill Run Boulevard - 1934
Saw Mill Run Boulevard at Maytide Street, on June 21, 1934. The Overbrook firehouse and municipal building is to the left.

 

Saw Mill Run Boulevard - 1935
The Dairy Del Delicatessen, at Overbrook and Saw Mill Run Boulevards, on December 11, 1935.

 

Saw Mill Run Boulevard - 1936
Saw Mill Run Boulevard, looking from the Overbrook Boulevard intersection towards Library Road, on May 23, 1936.

 

Saw Mill Run Boulevard - 1936
Saw Mill Run Boulevard, approaching Overbrook Boulevard, on May 23, 1936.

 

Saw Mill Run Boulevard - 1945
Clement's Amoco Service Station at 1700 Saw Mill Run Boulevard in 1945. The stately home had stood for decades when the
boulevard was built in 1929. The once spacial front yard was taken and the road ran just feet from the front door.
Not long after, the gas station was installed on the corner. Today this is the location of Jack Maggs Agency.

 

Saw Mill Run Boulevard - 1949
The original Eat'n Park Restaurant, at 2209 Saw Mill Run Boulevard in Overbrook. The store opened on June 5, 1949,
and on that day car customers received a 25 cent ice cream sundae for free with any purchase.

 

Banksville Circle - 1949
The Banksville Traffic Circle in 1949. The circle was located on the site of the present-day Fort Pitt Tunnel south interchange.

 

Banksville Circle - 1949
The Bansksville Traffic Circle in 1950 during the construction of the West End Bypass. Visible to the left is Woodville Avenue.

 

Saw Mill Run Boulevard - 1950
A Schneiders Dairy Truck driving through a flood along Saw Mill Run Boulevard, near Library Road, in 1950.

 

Saw Mill Run Boulevard - 1950
Clement's Auto Service, at 1700 Saw Mill Run Boulevard, in 1950. To the right is the old Hayes Mansion.

 

Saw Mill Run Boulevard - 1950
During the West End Bypass construction project, from 1949 to 1951, one million cubic yards of earth and rock were
removed from the Mount Washington hillside in order to make room for the four-lane highway.

 

Saw Mill Run Boulevard - 1952
Clement's Mobil service station, at the corner of Whited Street and Saw Mill Run Boulevard, in 1952.

 

Saw Mill Run Boulevard - 1960
Approaching the Oak Station Bridge at Whited Street in 1960.

 

Saw Mill Run Boulevard - 1964
State Route 51, approaching Stewart Avenue, on July 21, 1964. Stewart is the official boundary between Saw Mill Run and Clairton
Boulevards. At the Gulf station, Gultane was selling for .23, Good Gulf for .26 and No Nox was an even thirty cents per gallon.

 

Saw Mill Run Boulevard - 1970
The intersection of Saw Mill Run Boulevard and Warrington Avenue on October 26, 1970. The Palm Garden Bridge,
built in 1903 to carry trolley traffic on the Beechview route, crosses over the boulevard. In 1939
the Brookline, Dormont and Mount Lebanon lines were re-routed onto the bridge.

 




Library Road

Library Road - 1934
Metzgar's Sunoco station at the intersection with Library Road and McNeilly Avenue on September 8, 1934.

 

Library Road - 1934
Looking at the Library Road/McNeilly Road intersection on September 8, 1934. An inbound streetcar
is about to cross the McNeilly trestle on the Pittsburgh Railways line to the right.

 

Library Road - 1934
Library Road, approaching the McNeilly Road intersection, on September 8, 1934. Hartz Mountain Canaries
had a thriving business with all of the mining in the area. Guaranteed Singers cost $3 apiece.

 

Library Road - 1934
A residential home along Library Road, near the McNeilly Road intersection, on September 8, 1934.

 




Liberty Tunnels

Liberty Tunnels - April 1921
The south portals of the Liberty Tunnels in April 1921. Construction began in 1919 and the tunnels opened in January 1924.
The Twin Tubes were instrumental in bringing further investment to the growing South Hills communities.

 

Liberty Tunnels - April 1921
A work crew inside the Liberty Tunnels in April 1921.

 

Liberty Tunnels - April 1921
Workers standing by the shovel used to clear the debris and do the bench working inside the Liberty Tunnels in April 1921.

 

Liberty Tunnels - April 1921
A Booth and Flinn locomotive hauling debris from the Liberty Tunnels construction area in April 1921.
The earth and rock were used to form Bausman Street and lower McKinley Park.

 

Liberty Tunnels - 1954
The south portals of the Liberty Tunnels in 1954.

 




Liberty Bridge

Liberty Bridge - 1927
Construction of the Liberty Bridge on March 16, 1927.

 

Liberty Bridge - 1927
Construction of the Liberty Bridge on March 16, 1927.

 

Liberty Bridge - 1927
The two ends of the Liberty Bridge were joined on June 15 1927.

 

Liberty Bridge - 1927
The massive Liberty Bridge built along the northern approach to the Liberty Bridge.

 

Liberty Bridge - 1936
The Liberty Bridge in 1936. The Coca Cola Clock stands next to the McArdle Roadway bridge.

 

Liberty Bridge - 1937
The new Liberty Bridge and Mount Washington Roadway in August 1928.

 

Liberty Bridge - 1937
The Liberty Bridge on April 30, 1937.

 

Liberty Bridge - 1942
Workers pouring new concrete paving along the Liberty Bridge on June 5, 1942.

 

Liberty Bridge - 1950
The evening rush on the Liberty Bridge in 1950.

 

Liberty Bridge - 1951
The Liberty Bridge northern approach began at Forbes Avenue, shown here in 1951.

 

Liberty Bridge - 1951
A traffic policeman stands outside the northern portals of the Liberty Tunnels during rush hour.

 

Liberty Bridge - 1956
A welder working on one of the expansion joints of the Liberty Bridge on June5, 1956.

 




Community of Beechview

Broadway Avenue - 1909
A streetcar along Broadway Avenue in 1909.

 

Broadway Avenue - 1909
Broadway and Beechview Avenues in 1909. This was the year that Borough of Beechview (to the left) and
the city community of Beechwood (to the right) were merged and renamed Beechview.

 

Rutherford Avenue - 1909
Rutherford Avenue, from the corner with Sebring (South Sharon) Avenue, looking towards Hampshire Avenue in August 1909.

 

Crosby Avenue - 1911
A stately home stands at the intersection of Crosby and Belasco Avenues in 1911.

 

Hampshire Avenue - 1912
Hampshire Avenue in 1912, looking west from Rockland Avenue.

 

Hampshire Avenue - 1912
Hampshire Avenue, looking towards Rockland and Westfield Avenues, in 1912.

 

Rockland Avenue - 1913
Masons installing the granite block curbs along Rockland Avenue in 1913.

 

Rockland Avenue - 1913
Beechwood School, along Rockland Avenue, in 1913. Beechwood was the original name of the Beechview community.

 

Beechview School - 1916
Beechview School, along Sebring (South Sharon) Avenue, in 1916. The former borough school opened in 1907.

 

Beechwood School Garden - 1916
The Beechwood School Garden in 1916. The Pittsburgh Public School's gardening program began in neighboring Brookline.

 

Hampshire Avenue - 1919
Hampshire Avenue in 1919, looking up towards Broadway Avenue, in 1919. The Beechview United Methodist Church, to the right, served as Beechview Borough's first school building from 1905 through the end of 1906.

 

Broadway Avenue - 1930
Storefronts along Broadway Avenue, at the Hampshire Avenue intersection, on February 18, 1930.

 

Broadway Avenue - 1930
The Broadway Realty Company at 1557 Broadway Avenue on February 18, 1930.

 

Beechview Avenue - 1945
Stores along Beechview Avenue, near Broadway Avenue, in October 17, 1945.

 




City Of Pittsburgh

Smithfield Street Bridge - 1894
The Smithfield Street Bridge in 1894. This is an artist's colorized rendition of a vintage photo. Originally called the
Monongahela Bridge, until the building of the Liberty Bridge in 1924, this was the main gateway to downtown
Pittsburgh for South Hills commuters. The Brookline streetcar route used the bridge from 1905 to 1965.

 

Smithfield Street - 1905
Smithfield Street in 1905, with Kaufmann's Department Store in the distance to the right.

 

Luna Park - 1905
The grand entrance to Luna Park in 1905, with the Shoot the Chutes plunge standing tall in the distance.

 

Luna Park - 1905
Luna Park in 1905. Located in Oakland at the intersection of Craig Street and Baum Boulevard, the park was in
operation for only four short years, but it's legacy lives on in the Lost Kennywood section of Kennywood Park.
Ironically, it was competition with other trolley parks like Kennywood that brought on Luna Park's closure.

 

Heinz Delivery Wagon - 1903
A wagon loaded with Heinz products leaves the North Side plant in 1903.

 

Kaufmanns Delivery Wagon - 1915
A Kaufmann's Department Store delivery wagon in 1915.

 

Sixth Street - 1917
A trolley, a wagon and an automobile make an interesting traffic mix along Sixth Avenue downtown in 1917.

 

Bluff Billboards - May 1920
Billboards along the Bluff below Duquesne University on May 28, 1920. The Pennsylvania Railroad's Try Street Terminal
freight yard stands at the foot of the hill. Most of this hillside was cut away a few years later
during the construction of the Liberty Bridge northern approach to Forbes Avenue.

 

Armstrong Tunnels - 1926
The Armstrong Tunnels south portals, along Second Avenue, under construction on December 31, 1926.

 

Armstrong Tunnels - 1927
The Armstrong Tunnels south portals, along Second Avenue, on September 27, 1927. Today this
view of the decorative tunnel facade is obscurred by the Parkway East viaduct.

 

Mount Washington Transit Tunnel - 1935
The Mount Washington Transit Tunnel was opened in 1904 and was the primary catalyst in the development of the South Hills
communities, bringing quick, reliable access to downtown Pittsburgh. Now 115 years old, the tunnel is still a vital link
to downtown Pittsburgh as part of the South Hills light rail and busway system.

 

Bigelow Boulevard - 1935
The home at 2556 Bigelow Boulevard in 1935. This was near the Brereton Road intersection, today the location of Frank Curto Park.

 

Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroa - 1966
A New York Central locomotive pulls a train through the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad complex at Station Square in 1966.

<Now and Then> <> <Brookline History>