Pittsburgh Coal Company - 1915
The Pittsburgh Coal Company, shown here in March 1915, operated a Power Station, Storage and Maintenance Facility, and Ventilation Shaft at the corner of West Liberty Avenue and Brookline Boulevard from the late-1890s until the fall of 1915 to service the Oak Mine that undercut West Liberty Borough and then Beechview/Brookline.
This location was operated by Hartley and Marshall Mining Company, a subsidiary of the Pittsburgh Coal Company. The Pittsburgh Coal Company was owned by the Mellon family, and operated the Coal Hill Railroad along Saw Mill Run and Banksville Roads, from 1861 until 1871.
When West Liberty Avenue was improved and widened in 1915, the Brookline Junction location was closed and the Coal Company power station razed. A larger concrete ventilation shaft remained nearby until approximately 1940.
<Now and Then> <> <Brookline History>