The Reed Building - 1995
Here is a photo of the ninety-year old Reed Building, located at 1057 Brookline Boulevard, near Edgebrook Avenue in 1995. The Reed Building was the long-time location of Vogue Hair Styling and had apartments on the second and third floors.
Back in 1909, the ground floor was home to a tavern. Father James Quinn of the newly formed Resurrection Parish was looking for a temporary location to hold Masses. Father Quinn negotiated a lease of the basement storeroom, and on May 30. 1909, a handful of Resurrection parishioners attended a Eucharistic Liturgy there. It was the first Mass held in the long history of the Church of the Resurrection.
Resurrection services were held at the Reed Building for another year until the new church building was opened on nearby Creedmoor Avenue. The historic Reed Building was bought by Frank D. DeBor and demolished in the early-2000s to make room for a parking lot for DeBor Funeral Home.
* Photo provided by Bob Daley *
<Now and Then> <> <Brookline History>