of the Anderson Farm - May 1947
The Birth of the Community Center
Photo Caption: THE DEED IS SIGNED for the old Anderson Farm and is turned over to John L. Boyle, who led the campaign for Brookline's new park. The $19,000 sale was completed through James C. McDonald (seated), settlement officer for Lawyer's Title Company. Looking on (left to right) are other association leaders: Irvin Barabas, treasurer; William Atwater, vice president; Professor Joseph F. Moore, honorary member; Leonard Rauch, secretary; County Commissioner John J. Kane, honorary member; and Judge Henry Ellenbogen, chairman, Social Protection Board of Allegheny County.
"$30 Community Park" Dream Comes True for Brookline
20-Acre Farm Bought by
Brookline's "$30 Park Dream" has come true.
It was announced yesterday that the 20-acre Anderson Farm at the end of Brookline Boulevard and Breining Street now belongs to the Brookline Memorial Community Center Association.
The old farm of rolling woodland and pastures - ideal for shady picnic groves and athletic fields - has been sold to the Association for $19,000.
Construction work on a stadium, six badminton courts, 10 horseshoe courts, kiddie's playground, and minature golf course will begin by May 15.
John L. Boyle, president of the newly-formed association of civic leaders, asd dedication and flag raising ceremonies will be held June 29.
The park will be opened at that time for picknicking, sports and other community groups.
It will climax an 18-month drive by a committee of leading Brookline citizens for a community park. The is Brookline's answer to the juvenile delinquency problem. Primary aim is to provide playfields to take children off the streets.
The cost is being financed by a unique plan whereby each resident has been asked to pledge $30, payable over a three-year period. This would raise over $100,000, enough to pay the entire bill.
Over 1200 people, or approximately one-third of the residents have pleged $37,000 to get the program under way. Another estimated 1200 have agreed to take part as soon as ground is broken.
An intensive campaign is being conducted to round up the remaining one-third, President Boyle said.
The old 10-room Anderson farmhouse will be remodeled for meetings, dances, banquets and similar events until enough money for a modern community building can be raised.
Other facilities planned are an outdoor theatre, tennis courts, croquet courts, softball field, swimming pool, ski tower, ice skating rink, toboggan slide and Boy Scout house.
"We're going to build these things on a pay-as-you-go basis," Mr. Boyle explained. "We won't go ahead with anything until we see enuogh money in sight to pay fot it."
The community center will be a memorial to Brookline veterans who served in both world wars. Plaques, honoring those who served in the various battle theatres overseas - such as European, Mediterranean and Pacific - will be placed in each room of the community building.
It will be a private park for Brookline residents only. No City, State of Federal aid will be available.
The Anderson farm is one of the historic spots in Brookline, occupied by pioneer families sine the early 19th century. The last owner, Mary Fisher Anderson, moved onto the land with her husband James Anderson in 1874.
<Brookline Park> <<> <Brookline History>