MAKE IT SAFER FOR OUR CHILDREN!
* 1.4 million children are
transported on Pennsylvania roads each day.
* These children are transported more than 311 million miles to school
* Every year children are needlessly injured or killed by drivers passing
stopped school buses.
* Nationwide, 10 children were killed by a vehicle passing the school bus
in school year 1995/1996.
OUR CHILDRENS'S SAFETY IS IN YOUR HANDS
Pennsylvania's School Bus Stopping
* When you meet or overtake a
stopped school bus with red signals flashing and stop arm extended you
* You MUST STOP at least ten feet away from the school bus.
* You MUST WAIT until the red lights have stopped flashing and the stop
arm has been withdrawn before moving.
* DO NOT MOVE until all children have reached a place of
* You MUST STOP on roadways with painted lines.
* You MUST STOP on roadways with singing divisors.
* On seperate roadways and highways, drivers do not have to stop when
there is clearly defined dividing sections or physical barriers. This
only applies when the school bus is on the opposite side of the
When in doubt, STOP!
If you are convicted of violating
Pennsylvania's School Bus Stopping Law you will receive all of the
* 60-day suspension of your
* Five points on your driving record.
* $100.00 fine.
Over 1000 motorists did not obey
the School Bus Stopping Law in 1996 and ALL received the above
This information was produced with
the cooperation of PennDot, the Pennsylvania State Police, the Derry Twp
School District and the Middlesex Twp Police Depratment.