South Hills High School
Library - 1950
The Library at South Hills High School back in 1950. South Hills High School, located atop Mount Washington in Pittsburgh, was named for its location on a hilltop of the South Side. It occupied a city block bounded by Eureka, Ruth, Secane, and Harwood Streets. The High School served pupils from the Banksville, Beechwood, Brookline, and Overbrook communities. In addition to students from the local public elementary schools, the High School also served students from Saint Catherine, Resurrection and other parochial schools in the South Hills area. Originally planned as Bailey High School in 1915, the original Ruth Street wing opened on April 7, 1917, with 225 pupils in the 9th and 10th grades. The architectural firm of Alden & Marlow designed the original building and the addition, which was completed in 1925. South Hills High School was the second high school built and opened by the Pittsburgh School Board. The other was Schenley High School. The school was closed in 1985.
<Local Schools> <> <Brookline History>