West Liberty School - 1959
Here is a photo of the third version of West Liberty School, taken in 1959 during the dedication of the new addition to the left. Opened in 1939, and located at Crysler and LaMoine Streets, this elementary school replaced the school building that was located on Pioneer Avenue, and had closed in 1939. This version of West Liberty School was closed in 1979.
The school was reopened in 2000 as West Liberty Classical Academy, one of the Pittsburgh Public School Magnets, to accomodate the growing number of Brookline children seeking a neighborhood school alternative. The school currently serves children in grades K-5. A new middle school, named South Brook, opened next door in 2001 to serve grades six through eight.
<Local Schools> <> <Brookline History>