Building the Trolley Line - 1915
The photo above was taken in 1915 showing the corner of Brookline Boulevard and West Liberty Avenue during a year-long reconstruction of the west Liberty roadway. The railway was also redone, connecting with the Brookline extension to the left. In 1910, the single line service to Brookline had been upgraded to a double track by the Pittsburgh Railways Company. At the time of this photo, the double track service was being extended to the city line and further south towards Mount Lebanon.
The Brookline trolley line now extended all the way down Brookline Boulevard to the Trolley Loop near Witt Street. This and the resurfacing of West Liberty was a major improvement for Brookline residents and led directly to the first real boom in residential development. The final photo shows the same area in 1909 during the resurfacing of the Brookline Boulevard.
Click on images for larger photos
<Trolleys in Brookline> <> <Brookline History>