Allegheny General Hospital
Allegheny General Hospital is located at 320 East North Avenue on the North Side of Pittsburgh, was founded in 1885. Also known locally by the acronym "AGH", today it is the flagship hospital of the West Penn Allegheny Health System, which is the chief competitor of Pittsburgh's healthcare giant UPMC.
The doors of the original fifty-bed facility opened on February 15, 1885. It was the first and only hospital located on the north side of the Allegheny River in the area that was then known as the City of Allegheny. Ground was broken in 1930 for a new hospital. The 22-story high-rise, opened in 1936, was one of the nationís first skyscraper hospitals. Allegheny General Hospital was expanded again, in 1981, with construction of the $104 million Snyder Pavilion.
<Historical Facts> <> <Brookline History>