University of Pittsburgh
An old aerial view from the early-1960s, showing the University of Pittsburgh campus with an excellent view of landmarks such as the Student Union building, the dormitories, Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall, Presbyterian Hospital and Pitt Stadium.
The school was chartered as the Pittsburgh Academy in 1787, on the North Side in Allegheny City. It is one of the oldest institutions of higher education in the country. In 1819 the school became the Western University of Pennsylvania. The University remained in Allegheny City on the north shore for the next ninety years.
In 1908 the campus was relocated to it's present location in Oakland, in 1908, the name was changed to the University of Pittsburgh. Private throughout much of it's history, the university became a state-related institution in 1966. Today, the University of Pittsburgh consists of the main campus in Oakland, and regional campuses in Bradford, Greensburg, Johnstown, and Titusville.
The University's 12,000 employees, including 3,800 faculty members, serve approximately 34,000 students through the programs of 18 undergraduate, graduate and professional schools.
For more information on the University of Pittsburgh:
<><><><> <><><><> <><><><> <><><><> <><><><> <><><><>
Aerial Views of Oakland
<Historical Facts> <> <Brookline History>