Bob O Link Golf Driving Range - 1930
For several years, from the mid-1920s through 1931, Brookline was home to one of the many franchised Bob O Link Golf Driving Ranges. The range was located along Pioneer Avenue at the top of the hill leading from West Liberty Avenue, where Moore Park now stands. The land on which the driving range was situated was leased from the Paul family, who owned large swaths of land along lower Pioneer Avenue.
Local golf enthusiasts and amateurs could rent a club and a bucket of fifty balls for a mere fifty cents. For a few dollars more, one could make appointments for lessons with a trained instructor. The driving range was a hit until August 1931, when the property was purchased from the Paul family by The City Council of Pittsburgh, in the name of the Brookline Boosters Association, headed by Professor Joseph F. Moore. The ten acres of land was designated for construction of a community park.
The entrance to the Bob
O Link Golf Driving Range along Pioneer Avenue (above) and
These photos were part of
a cache of images donated to the Heinz History Center by the
Information and photos
provided by Brian Butko of the Heinz History Center.
<Brookline Locations> <> <Moore Park> <> <Brookline History>