also "Country Belle" (1938-1975)
This is a Page's Milk truck in Oakland near the Carnegie Library, circa 1940. The diary truck was modified by the Schnabel Company, a metal fabrication firm located on the Southside, and this was used as a promotional photo.
Page's was located at 1623 Saw Mill Run Boulevard from 1938 to 1954, when it joined a co-operative of nine regional diaries and continued under the name "Country Belle." The dairy plant continued to operate until the early 1970s, when it filed for bankruptcy.
Page's was founded by John D. Page in 1899 in a small plant located at 1906 Bedford Avenue in the Hill District. John D. Page and Sons Company was officially incorporated in 1915. The name was changed to Page's in 1934. Four years later, in 1938, the dairy moved to a new plant along Saw Mill Run, at Fine Way in Carrick.
In 1948, Page's purchased the Pittsburgh Milk Company and acquired a 43-truck fleet and 8000 wholesale and retail customers. The name was changed to Page's Pittsburgh Milk Company and the Saw Mill Run plant was expanded and modernized.
By 1954 Page's had grown to the fourth largest dairy in the district and entered into an agreement with nine other firms to form a co-operative that did business under the name "Country Belle."
The headquarters of the Country Belle Cooperative Farmers was at Page's Saw Mill Run location. The dairy operated for twenty years before filing for bankruptcy in 1974. The Saw Mill Run property and all of the milk processing equipment were auctioned off in October 1975.
Most recently, the former Page's Pittsburgh Milk Company, or "Country Belle" location has been home to RAD Auto Shop and Davey Plumbing.
* Click on newspaper image for larger readable version *
<Now and Then> <> <Brookline History>