Middle School Demolition
(December 2020 - March 2021)
Here are some photos taken between December 15, 2020 and March 5, 2021 showing the demolition of the Resurrection Activities Center/Middle School.
Resurrection School opened in 1912. The original structure was enlarged three times as the student population increased. The first section of the adjacent middle school, with six classrooms, was built in 1957. The Activities Center followed in 1964/65.
The Activities Center contained seven classrooms, a meeting and banquet hall (The Garden Room), a library, a large garage and an gym/auditorium with boys and girls locker room facilities. For over three decades the Activities Center/Middle School building was alive with activity. However, due to declining enrollment, the school closed in 1996.
Since then the facility has been used for a variety of reasons, mostly religious education (CCD) classes, pre-school programs, the yearly lenten fish fries and the popular July Fun Flair. The final summer festival on the school grounds was held in 2016. Since then the building has stood abandoned, suffering the ravages of time and weather without funding for proper upkeep.
Work on the removing hazardous materials from the interior of the building began in June 2020, and by December the structure was ready for demolition. When the last photo was taken there was still a pile of debris to remove, but on that date the final wall crumbled to the ground.
Once landscaped and paved, the open space will be used as additional parking for parishioners.
Click on images below for larger pictures
* Photos provided by Amy Fisher and Doug Brendel *
1957 Dedication Bulletin for Middle School and Convent
1965 Dedication Booklet for Activities Center
* Booklets from the Resurrection Archives *
April 27, 2021
* Photos provided by Clint Burton *
<Local Schools> <> <Brookline History>