Scrap Metal Drive - 1942
This picture appeared in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on October 2, 1942, showing the original West Liberty School Bell, which had been summoning West Liberty children to class for seventy-five years. The bell was donated to the war effort, as well as the five tons of debris behind Miss Mary Jan Bartolotto of 222 Capital Avenue.
Altogether, the children of West Liberty School collected nearly seventy-five tons of scrap metal, all of which was transported and dumped in the courtyard of the Allegheny County Courthouse. This was just the beginning. All of Brookline's schools took part in the home front effort to defeat the Axis during World War II, participating in Defense Stamp Drives, Scrap Metal Drives, Victory Gardens and Rationing.
<Local Schools> <> <Brookline History>