Pitt Stadium opened on September 26, 1925, as the Pitt Panthers defeated Washington and Lee, 28-0, before a crowd of 20,000. Construction began in August 1924 and the stadium was designed to hold 69,400 people.
The stadium was home to the Pitt football team for 76 years. It was also the temporary homefield of the Pittsburgh Steelers from 1958 to 1969. The Pitt Pavilion, once located in the hollow beneath the ramps inside of Gate 2, was home to the Pitt basketball team from 1925 to 1951. During its many years, Pitt Stadium saw it's share of glory.
There was the glory days of the Jock Sutherland era, when the Pitt Panthers were considered the cream of the college football elite. Glory returned when Johnny Majors and Tony Dorsett led Pitt to the National Championship in 1976. Several outstanding seasons followed, with standout players like Dan Marino, Hugh Green and Bill Fralic leading the Panthers yearly into the national polls.
The aging stadium was razed in 2001 to make room for the new Peterson Events Center. The Panthers winning tradition continues on their new home turf, Heinz Field on the North Side. But memories of the Panther's glory years of the past on the hallowed turf of Pitt Stadium will never be forgotten.
<Historical Facts> <> <Brookline History>