Brookline Boulevard - 1951
Here is Brookline Boulevard at the intersection with Edgebrook Avenue in 1951, across the street from DeBor Funeral Home. The Gulf station on the left has been replaced by a Seven-Eleven convenient store and gas station. Up until 1966 trolley tracks intersected the Boulevard, and at this point the full pavement ended. Boulevard traffic was diverted onto narrow lanes that ran parallel to the tracks. The steel poles and tight squeeze were the source of many fender benders.
The intersection at Breining Street near the present-day Parkview Manor apartments. In 1951 a shopping center stood in place of the highrise. The East Brookline Shopping Center was home to Liepack's Pharmacy, Open Pantry Grocery Store and the Big Bundle Coin-Op Laundramat.
The 1400 block of Brookline Boulevard, approaching Witt Street, where only one lane of traffic was possible due to curbside parking. To the left over the hillside is the Trolley Loop and a wooded ravine owned by the Brookline Community Center Association. Today, there are two lanes and off-street parking is available on the left.
A growing problem at the time were the dangers caused by the increasing number of vehicles on the road. This section of Brookline Boulevard was deemed an unsafe area to drive (judging by the photos for good reason) and residents were lobbying hard to have the city remove the steel poles and widen the street..
Click on images for larger pictures.
<Brookline Boulevard> <> <Brookline History>