American Legion Hall - June 1940
The Brookline chapter of and American Legion, Post#540, was chartered in December 1934 and originally located in the building at the corner of Brookline Boulevard and Queensboro Avenue. The headquarters moved to the Brookline Theatre banquet hall at 732-734 Brookline Boulevard in May 1935.
Finally, in June 1940, the Brookline Legionaires finally moved into their own dedicated hall, built at 520 Brookline Boulevard at a cost of $25,000. The hall opened on June 28, 1940. The newspaper clipping above is from the June 27 Post-Gazette.
In the years that followed the building was expanded. An addition was added to the rear and a second story was also added with a six-lane bowling alley. The American Legion was a mainstay on the Boulevard until 2014 when, due to rising maintenance costs and declining membership, the post closed. The building is now home to the Brookline Teen Outreach Center.
<Brookline Boulevard> <> <Brookline History>