Saw Mill Run
at West Liberty Ave - 1915
Here are three photos that show the early transformation of West Liberty Avenue at the intersection with Saw Mill Run Boulevard. The first picture is from early 1915. The railroad tressel was part of the West Side Belt Railroad and the Wabash Terminal Railroad. West Liberty Avenue was in the first stages of a major reconstruction. The roadway was to be widened to four lanes and the trolley system upgraded. Pioneer Avenue, which at one time was part of the official state road linking Pittsburgh with Washington County, begins on the other side of the railroad tressel to the left.
This photo shows the same view in 1916. The roadway was widened and the railroad abutment modified. These two views are quite different from the modern interchange in existence today. In 1916, horse-drawn wagons and the street car service were the main forms of transportation. Automobiles were a luxury not yet available to most folks. That would soon change!
This last view shows a similar view looking south along West Liberty Avenue from the intersection with Saw Mill Run Boulevard in March of 1931.
Click on images for larger photos
<Now and Then> <> <Liberty Tunnels> <> <Brookline History>