Whited Street and
Jacob Street - 1957
Then and Now
This photo was taken on March 16, 1957 at the corner of Whited Street and Jacob Street. A train from the Pittsburgh and West Virginia Railroad is crossing the tressel, built in 1909, on it's way towards Castle Shannon. In the early-1980s the PAT South Busway was built, and the bridge at Whited Street and Oak Station forever obscured this view. Below is another photo of a P&WV Railroad train crossing later that day.
The Pittsburgh and West Virginia Railroad was the successor to Pittsburgh's Wabash Pittsburgh Terminal Railroad, a transcontinental railroad built by Jay Gould. The Wabash went bankrupt in 1909, and in 1916 this part of the system became the P&WV Railroad. It is currently part of the Wheeling and Lake Erie Railroad.
Pittsburgh was once one of the railroad capitals of the United States, with several major railroads using the city as a hub for their operations. Over the years, much of Pittsburgh's railroad system has been dismantled. There are, however, significant vestiges of this glorious past still running along the riverbanks and meandering through the outskirts of the city. One of these is the Wheeling and Lake Erie Railroad, and it passes right along the borders of Brookline.
* Images provided by Steven Mincin *
<Now and Then> <> <Brookline History>