Elementary School - 1929
Adding a New Addition
The 1920s were a time of rapid expansion in Brookline. Construction of new homes and the population explosion caused serious overcrowding in Brookline's three elementary schools. By the end of the decade, the problem had grown to serious proportions.
Brookline Elementary School became so overcrowded that classes were held part-time in 1928. The following year, the Board of Education approved an expansion of the school, with construction of a second addition, at a cost of $106,000.
The school, originally built in 1909, had already been expanded in 1911. The 1929 expansion would bring the school building to it's present-day dimensions.
Work proceeded quickly, and by the start of the 1929-1930 school year, the auditorium had been rebuilt and a new kindergarten center installed. Eight new classrooms were installed, including two gymnasiums. The expansion also included a cafeteria and new cooking room. By the time it was completed the cost had doubled to $225,164.
The photo below appeared in the Pittsburgh Press on September 1, 1929, with the Pittsburgh public school system announcing the completion of construction and the start of the new year.
* Photos provided by Tom Castriodale and the Pittsburgh Press *
<Local Schools> <> <Brookline History>