Historical Informational Links
And Class Photos
For Brookline Area Schools
St. Pius X
Our Lady Of Loreto
Brookline Regional Catholic
South Hills HS
Elizabeth Seton HS
South Hills Catholic HS
Current Links To School Websites
Brookline has several local schools
that serve the needs of the neighborhood children. Public elementary schools
include West Liberty (1939-present, established 1850) on Dunster Street,
Brookline Elementary (1909-present) on Woodbourne Avenue, and Carmalt Academy
of Science and Technology (1937-present) on Breining Street. Children in the
middle school years can attend South Brook Middle School, located near West
Liberty Elementary on Dunster Street.
West Liberty School classroom 3-M
in 1919. West Liberty School, opened in 1898,
was Brookline's first public school, located on Pioneer Avenue.
West Liberty/Brookline School History
For secondary education, there
are Brashear High School (public) and Seton-LaSalle High School (parochial).
Brashear, located on Crane Avenue in Beechview, opened in 1976 and replaced
South Hills High School (1917-1986) as the public school option for Brookline
students*. Seton-LaSalle is a 1979 merger between South Hills Catholic High
School (1960-1979) and Elizabeth Seton High School (1941-1979). Seton-LaSalle
is located on McNeilly Road in Mount Lebanon.
* Note: Today students can
apply to any Pittsburgh Public School for secondary education.
For those with special needs, there is
Pioneer Education Center, located next to West Liberty Elementary on Dunster
Street. The school is equipped to meet the demands of the physically
and mentally challenged.
In addition to the fine academic programs
offered at Brookline area schools, there are also some excellent extra-curricular
and athletic programs to challenge our kids physically. Many of our school teams
have gone on to win city, diocesan, WPIAL and state championships in a variety of
The South Brook Middle School girls soccer
team captured the city championship in 2013.
Gone are the parochial schools, which once
had enrollments numbering over 2000 local students. These including the following
Brookline churches that once included schools: Resurrection (1909-1996),
Our Lady of Loreto (1961-1996) and St. Pius X Elementary (1956-1996). In 1996
these three schools were combined to form Brookline Regional Catholic, and in
2014 the name was changed to Saint John Bosco Academy. After the 2018/2019 school
year, Bosco Academy was closed due to low enrollment.
Loreto Church/School History
St. Pius X Church/School History
Resurrection Church/School History
A classroom at Resurrection Elementary
From 1908 to 2003, there was DePaul
Institute, a nationally renowned school for the deaf and hearing impaired.
DePaul, once located on Castlegate Avenue, relocated to Shadyside after nearly
100 years in Brookline. From 1914 to 1977 there was also Toner Institute, a
military-type academy/orphanage located on Castlegate Avenue.
are links to the history of our local schools, including class photos, pictures of
various athletic teams, and special events like class plays and