One of the first grade classrooms
under the church next to the cafeteria.
Here are some photos from the
1957/1958 school year showing a little bit of what it was like being
a student at Resurrection Elementary. Resurrection Parish's Golden Jubilee
took place in May of 1958. This was the 47th year for the elementary
Click on images for
A classroom in the old school building,
which was used for second through fifth graders.
A classroom in the new school annex,
which was used for sixth through eighth graders.
Another of the newer classrooms. The
student population at Resurrection continued to grow until the late-1970s.
Uniforms for the female students were
introduced in 1957.
This statue of Christ stood for
many years inside the foyer
of the annex building.
The cafeteria at lunchtime was always crowded,
and the food served was pretty good.
The courtyard during recess. The younger grades
gathered near here while the older kids played along Creedmoor Avenue.
The older students gather along Creedmoor Avenue
during recess. The boys often played ball while the girls jumped rope.
The new Annex Building was completed in time
for the start of the 1957/1958 school year.
The 1957 Resurrection girl's basketball team
were runners-up in the city Catholic League. The team ended the season
with an 8-2 record. Previously, Ressi's lady cagers had won five championships
in a row. Front Row: Mary Lou Tully,
Jo Cannizzaro, Pat Schmidt, Ellen Kestner, Sue Balkey, Barbara Doran and Carol
Welsh. Back Row: Coach Armour,
Kathie Davis, Carolyn Wade, Emily Domina, Kathleen Casey, Corinne DeConcillis,
and Coach Balkey.
The Resurrection second graders class photo
taken after receiving their first Holy Communion in April 1958.
* Photos provided by the