Church and School
Construction of Activities Center - 1964/65
Here is a series of photos from 1964 and 1965 showing the final addition built on the Resurrection Parish grounds. The Activities Center was an expansion of the 1957 Middle School building, and was the culmination of Pastor Oliver Keefer's Era of Expansion. Enrollment was near 2000 students and additional space was needed. Construction began in the fall of 1964 and the building was completed in time for the 1965/1966 school year.
The middle school addition contained several classrooms, a meeting and banquet room (The Garden Room) and a gym/auditorium. Resurrection Elementary now had all of the facilities necessary to provide religious, academic and physical education to their Brookline students. It was unfortunate that only thirty years later, after the 1995/1996 school year, Resurrection would cease operation due to declining enrollment and the increasing financial hardship.
After Resurrection School closed in 1996, the middle school/activities center buildings continued to be used sparingly for various CCD classes, social functions and public school early learning programs. While the old school building was renovated and into senior housing apartments known as Creedmoor Court Apartments, the newer school building was eventually abandoned and fell into disrepair. Unable to afford upkeep of the structure, the Diocese of Pittsburgh in June 2020 scheduled the property for demolition to create additional church parking.
Click on images for a larger picture
1965 Dedication Bulletin for Activities Center
* Photos provided by Resurrection Archives *
<Local Schools> <> <Brookline History>