Brookline Baseball Club - 1914
This is a photo of Brookline's championship baseball team from the summer of 1914. Although baseball was always popular in Brookline, this was the first year that the community had an official sponsored team. The team was a semi-professional squad organized by the Brookline Board of Trade. The players look to be age 17 and older.
The following article appeared in the Pittsburgh Daily Post on June 7, 1914, announcing the establishment of the new team:
BROOKLINE ENJOYS OFFICIAL BASEBALL
Board of Trade Takes Charge of Sport and Opening is Gala Event
The Brookline Board of Trade yesterday, with every element favoring, presented baseball as an official institution in community welfare. It was a gala day - one of the most eventful in the community's history. Buildings were decorated, there was an automobile parade through streets and then a grand ensemble at the new ball grounds.
Baseball has always been popular in Brookline, but it was played under numerous disadvantages. The grounds were not adequate. Then there was team trouble. The necessity of a sound governmental head was apparent. The Board of Trade decided to foster the game. The organization had been successful during the winter months in conducting various amusements for the residents of Brookline.
A baseball committee was appointed by President Fred Wolfe, consisting of Henry L. Angloch, J.H, Dumbell, T.W. Johnson, E.S Cook, Henry R. Burger and C.C Poling, which immediately put the Board of Trade in the baseball business.
PORCH PARTIES OF FANS
Ground were secured between Wedgemere, Rossmore and Gallion streets. Plenty of grading was necessary to put them in shape, but this was done. Wire screens were placed and seats erected. The game is for the people and no fence is necessary as admission is not charged. L.L. Rosser and Samuel McClelland were made managers of the team, which was supplied with equipment.
The season was opened with Brookline against Brushton, and when President Wolfe of the Board of Trade tossed the first ball the green slopes surrounding the diamond were almost covered with people. It was largely a family affair and the children were there in hundreds. But the crowd was not limited to the ball ground, for on different streets porch parties were held, and with unobstructed views many enjoyed the opening game in this manner. Every condition contributed toward making the first venture at community baseball a success. Games will be played Saturdays when many of the Brookline breadwinners are enjoying a half-holiday at home.
1914 Box Scores
Old Pittsburgh Press, Post-Gazette and Daily Post newpaper clippings from the 1910s and 1920s have occasionally shown Brookline game results in the roundup sections at the back of the sports page. Here are several of those from the championship season.
The team returned the following season to defend its title, and until the early-1920s, played their home games on a baseball field located near the bottom of Beaufort Avenue. The field bordered Gallion, Wedgemere and Rossmore Avenues. The picture below, taken in 1916, shows a glimpse of the bleachers, player benches and backstop. The field stood next to the Brookline Elementary School gardens.
* Team photo provided by Harry Patterson *
<BLLA History> <Brookline History>