Elizabeth Seton High School Expansion - 1951
Above is an artist's conception of the new addition to Elizabeth Seton High School on Pioneer Avenue, from 1951. The groundbreaking ceremony for the proposed expansion was held in September 1951 and was considered a dream come true for everyone associated with the girls-only high school, which first opened its doors in 1941. The planned structure would increase enrollment capacity from 275 to 450 students.
The new addition, which will occupy the space next to the existing schoolhouse, was a steel-frame, fire-proof structure that contained four classrooms, science laboratory, kitchen, 250 seat social room/dining room, three music studios, large lobbies and a 400-plus seat auditorium.
An accompanying convent included 18 bedrooms, chapel, kitchenette, dining room and ample storage for the Sisters of Charity who teach at the school.
The existing school building would continue to be used, providing two additional classrooms, home economics and art instruction rooms, book store, doctor's office and a locker room. A tunnel would be built connecting the new structure with the old building.
The new structure remained in use until the school closed following the 1979 school year, at which time Elizabeth Seton High School merged with the boys-only South Hills Catholic High School to form the co-ed Seton-LaSalle High School.
* Photos provided by Sister Louise Grundish and the Brookline Journal *
<Local Schools> <> <Brookline History>