Boulevard/Pioneer Avenue - 2000
Now and Then
The CVS Pharmacy at the corner of Brookline Boulevard and Pioneer Avenues opened it's doors in 2000. It was the first major change to the Brookline Boulevard business district since Mazza Pavilion was built back in 1982.
In 1999, during construction of the new pharmacy, several buildings were torn down to clear the site. Three buildings along the boulevard were demolished, Nolan's Hardware, the duplex that housed Brookline Pharmacy, and the corner building that housed Giorgio's Pizza (previously Myer's Service Station). Three homes on the corner of Berkshire Avenue were also razed, and the alleyway behind them diverted to exit onto Berkshire Avenue.
From a historical perspective, to the right in the photo below is the former home of Dr. C.C. Lang, Brookline first physician. It was built in 1907 and formerly stood at the corner of the boulevard and Pioneer Avenue, next to the Brookline Pharmacy building (where the small building and lot are). When the boulevard was reconstructed in 1935 and the intersection widened, the home was moved back across the alleyway to a vacant corner lot on Berkshire Avenue and the smaller gas station (yellow building) replaced it on the corner of the boulevard.
<Now and Then> <><Brookline Boulevard> <> <Brookline History>