Pittsburgh's Golden Triangle - 1910
This is Pittsburgh's Golden Triangle in 1910. The city was rapidly expanding, having recently annexed the City of Allegheny (the North Shore). The old Union Bridge, spanning the Allegheny River from the Point to the North Shore, had recently been demolished. The replacement Manchester Bridge was in the initial stages of construction and would not open for another five years. The original Point Bridge connects the southern shore to the Point, which is dominated by the freight yards of the Pennsylvania Railroad and the Exposition Hall complex along the Allegheny riverfront. Pittsburgh was the nation's center of steel, iron and glass production. It was the "Smokey City."
The Monongahela Wharf (above) in 1910 was a busy shipping area for both passenger and freight traffic. Riverboat and barge traffic was a constant along Pittsburgh's waterways. Fleets of barges (below), loaded with coal and other raw materials to feed the appetite of the massive industrial complexes, were often moored along the riverbanks near the Point. The Wabash Railroad Bridge, which stood from 1904 to 1948, is shown spanning the Monongahela River.
<Historical Facts> <> <Brookline History>